Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

View Poll Results: Horizontal / Vertical or Vertical / Horizontal
Horizontal / Vertical 32 96.97%
Vertical / Horizontal 1 3.03%
I'm an idiot I didn't know there was a difference 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:54 AM   #1
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Artwork dimensions - vertical horizontal or horizontal vertical?

We have a little debate going here regarding correct display of dimensions. I was taught and have witnessed in every other company I have worked for that when listing artwork dimensions i.e. 55mm x 65mm, the first number should refer to the horizontal dimension and the latter should refer to the vertical.

So the above dimensions would create a box 55mm across and 65mm high.

I have some money on this so cast your votes - do it for the boobs!

Last edited by MacBoobsPro; Nov 17, 2008 at 06:30 AM.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:57 AM   #2
AdeFowler
macrumors 68020

Always H x V. A4 Portrait for example is always specified as 210 x 297. Even page set up boxes have the width first.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 06:16 AM   #3
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernboy View Post
Always H x V. A4 Portrait for example is always specified as 210 x 297. Even page set up boxes have the width first.
Thats exactly what I said.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 07:33 AM   #4
LeviG
macrumors 65816

Well I'd say instinctively (maths x by y) and professionally it would be HxV but it doesn't always turn out that way when I'm working on my own. I know when I'm jotting measurements of A size paper I normally work purely in landscape even when needing portrait measurements for example.
LeviG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 07:36 AM   #5
snickelfritz
macrumors 65816

width is always first.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 08:03 AM   #6
tobefirst
macrumors 68040

MacBoobsPro, I think we should stop talking about which is right, and start talking about what you're going to do with the money you're going to win. That would be far more interesting and would give you more variety of answers. Of course it is HxV. (:
Old Nov 17, 2008, 08:04 AM   #7
JasonElise1983
macrumors 6502a

width is always first...or atleast should be, but it never fails that i get dimensions from some pub, outdoor company, or website that has them flipped. Sites are usually pretty easy to spot, i mean, 90 x 728 is just not a normal size, but magazines and pubs confuse the hell out of me. I had one give it to me this (or something close to it);

10.5 x 4

well, i build an ad that is 10.5" wide x 4" tall (which totally jacked up my artwork), to be told that it's actually 10.5" tall by 4 COLUMNS wide. What? why would you list columns last?

-je
Old Nov 17, 2008, 08:34 AM   #8
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonElise1983 View Post
width is always first...or atleast should be, but it never fails that i get dimensions from some pub, outdoor company, or website that has them flipped. Sites are usually pretty easy to spot, i mean, 90 x 728 is just not a normal size, but magazines and pubs confuse the hell out of me. I had one give it to me this (or something close to it);

10.5 x 4

well, i build an ad that is 10.5" wide x 4" tall (which totally jacked up my artwork), to be told that it's actually 10.5" tall by 4 COLUMNS wide. What? why would you list columns last?

-je
And how wide is one column times 4 plus the margins and gutters?

This has all started because I have recently starting working for a new company and for years they have had the dimensions listed 'backwards' i.e. V x H. Now I've come into the studio and the first thing I noticed was that a lot of clients were sending in artwork in the wrong format. I looked into i all the forms and documentation that went out to clients were wrong.

My boss wasn't so sure as he had been doing like this for years. He checked it with a friendly client of his and the client was probably the only other person in the world that also did it backwards and now there is a debate on what is correct. As I'm younger I obviously don't know what I'm talking about said the award winning graphic designer with his own company.

The money will go towards helping orphan chickens find a loving family. All 5 of it.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 08:39 AM   #9
NinerRider
macrumors newbie

I know of some countries that out you in jail for the rest of your natural life if you put V before H. Unfortunately, the US is not one of them. I worked with print shops that also use 'm' for thousand instead of 'K'. Being from Europe, I don't get that either.
NinerRider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 08:44 AM   #10
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerRider View Post
I know of some countries that out you in jail for the rest of your natural life if you put V before H. Unfortunately, the US is not one of them. I worked with print shops that also use 'm' for thousand instead of 'K'. Being from Europe, I don't get that either.
Oh no 'm' for 1000? That reminds me of Printing.com that insist on saying 1.5mm bleed is infact 3mm bleed, it ain't... it's 1.5mm bleed!
Old Nov 17, 2008, 02:53 PM   #11
eleven2brett
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to eleven2brett
8 1/2 x 11. Thats all there is to it.
eleven2brett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 02:57 PM   #12
heehee
macrumors 68020

I always get messed up on that too. I go by W x H.
heehee is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 03:57 PM   #13
JasonElise1983
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBoobsPro View Post
And how wide is one column times 4 plus the margins and gutters?
Exactly, and how wide is a column. I've personally come across at least 4 different column sizes and none of them ever make sense. I always ask the pub to give it to me in Inches. I think it's fine to say 4col. x 12" if you are placing media, but when it comes time to build it, i need inches. Man, i'd take mm, picas, pixels, freakin anything over columns. Oh well, another day another dollar. Gotta get back to work.

-je
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:56 PM   #14
SwiftLives
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to SwiftLives
I read horizontally, so I logically put width before height. That's my way of remembering.

I also tend to put "W" and "H" after my dimensions just to be on the safe side.
SwiftLives is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 10:55 AM   #15
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftLives View Post
I read horizontally, so I logically put width before height. That's my way of remembering.

I also tend to put "W" and "H" after my dimensions just to be on the safe side.
I (strangely) remember it as 'across the corridor and up the stairs' because the day I learnt about dimensions etc I was in a new building and also had to remember my way to the class room. They both kind of merged into a mental picture of a corridor and some stairs. Synaesthesia and all that (probably).
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:14 AM   #16
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Width before Height. Both Apple and Adobe list it that way, so it's good enough for me.

Also...I thought the 8.5" x 11" was the best way of remembering it, but I was wrong. "Across the corridor and up the stairs" is clearly superior.
Attached Images

Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:22 PM   #17
yngwie
macrumors newbie

The Museum of Modern Art in NYC lists the Height and then the Width on all there archives!
http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_ar...110001966&vT=1
yngwie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:31 PM   #18
snouter
macrumors 6502a

And call the US paper 8 1/2" x 11" !

There probably is no correct universal answer.
snouter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 02:38 AM   #19
Kwill
macrumors 68000

Generally w-h...

However, for large paper rolls, the width is actually the shorter dimension listed as 42 inches x 100 feet.

@ClinicalPosters
Kwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 06:11 AM   #20
covisio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonElise1983 View Post

10.5 x 4

-je
I worked for a newspaper many years ago and I'm pretty sure we always said 'ten by two' or 'ten by three' meaning for instance 10 cm high by 2 columns wide. Obviously the column is particular to the publication. Column widths were always expressed in picas and points.

I'm not saying it was right or wrong, that's just what I remember.
covisio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:27 AM   #21
design-is
macrumors 65816

This thread is from 2008...

But yes: x, then y. Horizontal then vertical. Across then up. Down the corridor and up the stairs...

/Doug
design-is is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:34 AM   #22
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by covisio View Post
I worked for a newspaper many years ago and I'm pretty sure we always said 'ten by two' or 'ten by three' meaning for instance 10 cm high by 2 columns wide. Obviously the column is particular to the publication. Column widths were always expressed in picas and points.

I'm not saying it was right or wrong, that's just what I remember.
Every newspaper ad I've ever designed was described as columns x height, and with everything done in inches.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:21 AM   #23
dazzer21
macrumors 6502

I always work height x width. When you book a press ad, it's always specified that way, ie 25x4 = 250mm height by 4 column width. Carried it over to standard working pretty much all my clients do it that way too.
dazzer21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:07 AM   #24
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzer21 View Post
I always work height x width. When you book a press ad, it's always specified that way, ie 25x4 = 250mm height by 4 column width. Carried it over to standard working pretty much all my clients do it that way too.
Perhaps it depends on location. As I noted above, U.S. newspapers/magazines do width x height. Here's the New York Times ad specs for reference.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics