Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fairy lights

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
London, England
My flatmate unfortunately brought her iBook G4 crashing down to the ground when she tripped over her printer cable :)eek:) and now the screen is broken at the bottom, as you can see in the pictures. It still works but she is unsure of what to do - is there any way of us manually fixing it, or would it be best to get it properly fixed? Does anyone have any idea of how much that might cost?
Thanks!!

Attachments

• DSC05030.JPG
    DSC05030.JPG
    786.9 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC05031.JPG
    DSC05031.JPG
    609.2 KB · Views: 59

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
If the screen surround is identical to that of the first evolution MacBook, as it appears to be in the photograph, then you can whack some double sided tape on the inside of the bezier and stick it down with no repercussions.

fairy lights

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
London, England
There are bits and bobs that seem to be attached to both the actual screen and the plastic covering though, will these not get squashed when taping the two back together? My flatmate doesn't have applecare you see and so we don't want things to go wrong.... :eek:

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Take it apart. It may just be the bezel. But don't use it because you can flex the logic board and kill it.

On second thought, you probably broke the inner screen hinge. Not that hard to fix. About thirty bucks for the part. I've done it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.