Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Stuff.tv reports a questionable rumor from a tipster they claim had "given us the goods on the PAYG iPhone before everyone else."

The claim is that Apple will be introducing an iPod "Stick" potentially at Macworld with the following features: "WiFi, Multitouch flex display and, er, a 7MP camera."

We're not quite sure what a "flex display" exactly is (aside from the obvious) and why you'd want one in an iPod "Stick".

Article Link: Apple to Introduce an iPod Stick?

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, gonna go with this one being false.

The "er" isn't comforting at all. Plus I'm mainly basing it off of these being dream-like specs. There is no practically priced flexible display, much less a multitouch one.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
We already had an iPod stick

ipod_shuffle.jpg

Perhaps this stick would be a little bigger to accomodate a 7mp camera worth getting excited about. Odd choice mix of specs, I am not sure what the hell this device would actually be for.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
iPod Stick - Poke other people with your music

iPod Stick - The first iPod to double as a self defense weapon, Steve: "Can I ask Phil to take the stage, demonstration time..."

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
First, it was a music player. Then, it was a music player and photo viewer.
3rd, it was a music, photo and video player. Then you could install applications on it, just like a PC.

and now it's a twig?

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Hey! You leave my wifi-shuffle-camera alone! Every pic you take randomly shuffles the f-stop. Then when you are done, you hold forward down for 5 seconds and it randomly sends your photos to an open wifi station. GENIUS.

We stopped deciding things on our own anyways; the TV, news and government think for us. We might as well just let Apple shuffle for what is best. As soon as I get my tax rebate next year I am buying 3 product (RED) versions of these, because I care about the world.:cool:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Forget about the 7 megapixels camera and the flex touch-screen display. Let's just go with the "iPod stick" name.

We currently have the 2nd generation iPod shuffle. It's a clip and it's much smaller than the 1st generation iPod shuffle (especially if you don't count the volume taken by the clip and the space between the actual iPod and the clip itself).

Now, think back at how some people thought the 2nd gen. shuffle was an on-cord controller/radio for the full-sized iPod.

And now look at the new Apple headphones (the ones they still need to launch, the ones that were due back in october). Those have a really tiny controller built into the cord itself. Now imagine an iPod roughly larger than that.

Could this idea be the next iPod? An iPod stick, that kinda just dangle from your headphone cord? :confused: :p

LloydBraun89

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
I'm still kinda confused on this one...this really is one of the most stupid rumors i have read. its like a bunch of manatees just took a bunch of idea balls and got this...

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
I'm still kinda confused on this one...this really is one of the most stupid rumors i have read. its like a bunch of manatees just took a bunch of idea balls and got this...

Thats a brilliant way to design! I never really thought of it, but manatees are the only mammals unmoved by terrorist.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
I get the idea behind the name, (I think,) but maybe it should be iPod Scroll. It's a "stick" until you pull out the display in "scroll" fashion. Maybe you could even pull a stylus out of the middle and "write" on it. It sounds weird and highly unlikely, but if Apple were to deliver, it would be nothing short of (r)evolutionary.

getasset.aspx

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I am still wondering how this could make it on page 2! I just can't see anything like that coming out in the next couple of years with a reasonable price tag..

danaris

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
iPodling, anyone?

And now look at the new Apple headphones (the ones they still need to launch, the ones that were due back in october). Those have a really tiny controller built into the cord itself. Now imagine an iPod roughly larger than that.

Could this idea be the next iPod? An iPod stick, that kinda just dangle from your headphone cord? :confused: :p
050621.gif

....Just don't swallow it.

~danaris

timothyjay2004

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
I call BS. Wouldn't the iPhone get the 7mp camera before an iPod? And, wouldn't the iPod touch get a camera before any other iPod in their lineup? It just makes no sense. I think someone got bored with wishful thinking....:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.