Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Will this provide GPU enabled H.264 decoding or is it just aimed at iChat compatibility?

PcBgone

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
zomg!!! uptime killer. :rolleyes:

Actually it is a pain. Im uploading a terabyte of information to my online backup service, which if is interrupted(Ie reboots) then it starts all over from the beginning. You know how slow a terabyte uploads with only a 768kb upload?:rolleyes:

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Actually it is a pain. Im uploading a terabyte of information to my online backup service, which if is interrupted(Ie reboots) then it starts all over from the beginning. You know how slow a terabyte uploads with only a 768kb upload?:rolleyes:

and you HAVE to install this update right now? ... i think it could wait.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
it is a PITA though, because then the first few times apps open, they are much, much slower (namely Safari, iPhoto, and Itunes). ugh.

Launch times will be slower. Performance of the applications will definitely not change.

PcBgone

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
and you HAVE to install this update right now? ... i think it could wait.

No I dont HAVE to do anything. I dont HAVE to backup my stuff. I could simply risk it. I dont HAVE to pay taxes, again another risk.

So whats your point? Do you HAVE to type on a message board telling me I dont HAVE to install it right now?

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
YaY for Updates!

I think it'll show up for everyone who has quicktime.

and it requires a reboot. Boo for Reboots!

No I dont HAVE to do anything. I dont HAVE to backup my stuff. I could simply risk it. I dont HAVE to pay taxes, again another risk.

So whats your point? Do you HAVE to type on a message board telling me I dont HAVE to install it right now?

You back things up for a reboot? I do backups once a month or so. (Manual. I don't need no fancy time machine.) The only time I will actually back things up before a reboot is a point upgrade. I.e., 10.5.5 -> 10.5.6.

PcBgone

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
You back things up for a reboot? I do backups once a month or so. (Manual. I don't need no fancy time machine.) The only time I will actually back things up before a reboot is a point upgrade. I.e., 10.5.5 -> 10.5.6.

No, Im doing an initial offsite backup where I am sending all of my data, pictures/movies to a server. Im not running time machine right now. But eventually will. I have a TC, which is full with backups. So I will send that to the server, along with everything else. After the initial backup, I will start time machine all over, and delete the backups off of TC, fill it up again, then backup that info onto the server, and keep going.

Its a good thing the offsite server is unlimited storage:)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Does this update screw up iMovie capture using the iSight? I use iMovie video capture every few days for Youtube and I just got a fresh copy of Leopard on my MB. I don't want to do that again... Cheers!

YouArentJ

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2008
Orlando
Why don't you download the update later? Are you planning on using iChat while watching a QuickTime video and uploading your TB of info? Perhaps you can wait - or are you one of those instant updaters that run home for a keyboard firmware update? :D

EmSeta

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
My girlfriend swears this vastly improved 720p x264 (!) playback on her Powerbook G4. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.