Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ginafarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
California
Hi!

I'm using FCE to create a slideshow for output to standard DVD.

I see a small white line on the edge of some of my images, so I'm guessing I've got my image size wrong.

What is the universal size for still images to completely fill the DVD screen?

Thanks!

Gina

tjh1124

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
Re: What image size will fill DVD - full screen?

Lynda.com has some excellent video based training on Final Cut Pro. They recommend 720x540 pixels for 4:3 format and 853x480 pixels for 16:9 format.

Attachments

• size.jpg
    size.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,610

tcgjeukens

macrumors regular
May 16, 2007
Esbeek, the Netherlands
Gina,

Attached a similar but more complete list.

Source: Apple Training series for DVD Studio Pro.

In the column "Frame size" you will see that it is the same regardless if it is displayed as 4:3 or 16:9.
To achieve the 4:3 or 16:9 format the displayed pixels are non-square.

Example:
DVD NTSC is 720 x 480 pixels. This is a 3:2 ratio.
In order to display a 4:3 picture each pixel width is reduced to 89.89% and each pixel height is increased to 111.25. The pixel thus is rectangular.

On your computer each pixel is square. When your artwork has the EXACT 4:3 or 16:9 dimensions, FCE will convert the square-pixel artwork to the non-square video size.
As soon as your artwork deviates from the exact dimensions, FCE will be at loss and insert black/white bars.

Regards
Coen

Attachments

• Artworksize.jpg
    Artworksize.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,390

ginafarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
California
Thank you, I appreciate the lession behind the numbers.

One thing I'm confused about, for DV NTSC artwork is 720 x 534 vs DVD NTSC 720 x 540

I'm on FCE, so I believe all output is DV, correct? So do I create artwork at 720 x 534?

When, for example, would I use the "DVD NTSC" size?

Thanks!!

Gina

tcgjeukens

macrumors regular
May 16, 2007
Esbeek, the Netherlands
Gina,

"You can do this at home folks". If we have to believe all that marketing says, then ... :rolleyes:

It indeed is confusing.

According to the :apple: DVD Studio Pro table the artworksize for NTSC is 720 x 540 .... but since you are doing your editing as Digital Video (DV), the artwork size has to be 720 x 534.

Note: in case your client will play your slideshow DVD on a TV, make sure the most important details do not fall within 11% of the margin. This 11% is the so called title safe area. When shown on a PC your slides will be 100% visible.

Regards

Coen

tcgjeukens

macrumors regular
May 16, 2007
Esbeek, the Netherlands
Confusion^2

Gina,

Come to PAL territory and your troubles will be solved :D

I have forwarded your question to my trainer at the :apple: Training Centre in Amsterdam.
Q: Is it 534 or 540.

The books in the :apple: Training Series do not give the same answer.

Attached scan is taken from the FCP 5 training book (page 539).
The table says 534, the text says 540.

I hope my teacher or other have experience with the correct artwork size.

Coen

Attachments

• FCP.jpg
    FCP.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 411

ginafarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
California
Thank you, Coen. Confusing but good to know that I'm not alone :)

Yes, clients will be watching my slideshows on a regular T.V, excellent to know about that title safe area, thank you.

I would move to PAL, in fact to the Netherlands, I love your worldview and culture. But I don't want to miss the excitement around here. Living in the U.S. has been positively exhilarating these past two weeks!

Let me know what your teacher says and thanks for all the help.

Gina

tcgjeukens

macrumors regular
May 16, 2007
Esbeek, the Netherlands
Gina,

With help from my teacher I found the answer to the 534 / 540 confusion.
  • 720 x 534 is for NTSC DV
  • 720 x 540 is for full D1 alias 601 NTSC

When you check your easy setup in FCE/FCP you will see the pixel dimensions of your timeline are 720 x 480.

Thus: create your artwork in 720 x 534 and resize to 720 x 480. Then import into FCE/FCP. FCE/FCP will unstretch the artwork to its correct proportions.

See also: LA FCP Tutorial

Regards,
Coen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.