Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 17, 2008, 04:53 PM   #1
okrelayer
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
MacBook Pro wifi takes slow to connect after sleep?

Anyone know why it takes a long 15-20 seconds to connect to my local wifi network after sleep?

My friends Air, and my past macbook is near instantly. Thanks!
okrelayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:43 PM   #2
Kr3st
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by okrelayer View Post
Anyone know why it takes a long 15-20 seconds to connect to my local wifi network after sleep?

My friends Air, and my past macbook is near instantly. Thanks!
Mine just started doing this as well, I dont know if it was some sort of update or what, but it now takes at least 20 seconds to find a wifi signal.
Kr3st is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 08:50 AM   #3
okrelayer
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
strange no one else is saying they have this issue!

its not HORRIBLE, it never dissconnects. It just takes awhile to connect
okrelayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 09:20 AM   #4
Kr3st
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Do you happen to have an apple airport base station?? If so that could be the problem, seems like it happen right after an update.
Kr3st is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:02 PM   #5
bojackson63044
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
The new macbooks have wi-fi issues due to its aluminum construction. Check this review from Gizmodo. While it doesn't mention slow to find and connect, the aluminum body may account for the slow find/connect.

http://gizmodo.com/5063492/macbook-a...ro-dual-review
bojackson63044 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:16 PM   #6
mAc-warrior
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojackson63044 View Post
The new macbooks have wi-fi issues due to its aluminum construction. Check this review from Gizmodo. While it doesn't mention slow to find and connect, the aluminum body may account for the slow find/connect.

http://gizmodo.com/5063492/macbook-a...ro-dual-review
I label this claim BS.

My Unibody MBP connects to my Time Capsule (and campus Wifi) in less than the time it takes for Safari to launch after I open the lid. In fact, I just tested it. It was connected by the time I typed in my password to unlock the screen. This was probably around 5 seconds. If your MBP does not connect in less than 5 seconds after waking up there is something wrong.

No problems connecting to my home wifi in the car on the street in front of my house either. The aluminum enclosures can't be that bad.

--mAc
__________________
Unibody 15" MBP, 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 250GB 7200RPM HD
mAc-warrior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 11:32 AM   #7
bojackson63044
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mAc-warrior View Post
I label this claim BS.

My Unibody MBP connects to my Time Capsule (and campus Wifi) in less than the time it takes for Safari to launch after I open the lid. In fact, I just tested it. It was connected by the time I typed in my password to unlock the screen. This was probably around 5 seconds. If your MBP does not connect in less than 5 seconds after waking up there is something wrong.

No problems connecting to my home wifi in the car on the street in front of my house either. The aluminum enclosures can't be that bad.

--mAc
I'm not saying that necessarily accounts for the time lag. But I do have both a new unibody and an older plastic cased macbook. There's definitely a noticeable difference in the time the unibody takes to connect to wi-fi upon wake. I was simple trying to find some justification for the phenomenon. "BS" may be a bit extreme.
bojackson63044 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:42 AM   #8
NoMoreThanToys
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Unhappy Same here

I have a client, MacBook Pro. Other objects (phones, pc's, tablets) connect to his Cisco wireless n router with no problem. His MacBook however, takes an excessive amount of time to connect to it. I'm talking minutes. This does not happen with other routers, so I'm inclined to believe its a config issue, but I cant pinpoint any settings in the router which might account for this. My iPad does not go through this. Any tips on cinfigureing a wireless router for Apple OS?

Mac-Warrior... typical. That's at attitude that keeps me primarily PC. So people like you don't try to talk to me at Starbucks. (I don't care about your new pink cover)

Last edited by NoMoreThanToys; Feb 14, 2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typo
NoMoreThanToys is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brand new macbook pro can't last more than 3-4 hours MathiasLa MacBook Pro 33 Nov 21, 2011 03:55 AM
Just a Question about Next Gen Macbook Pro (not a whether to buy now or not) macnerd123 MacBook Air 7 Dec 20, 2010 09:48 PM
MacBook pro wifi antenna help!!' applerocks123 MacBook Pro 3 Nov 8, 2010 06:54 PM
MBA wifi slow to connect after sleep... onesixeight MacBook Air 11 May 17, 2010 01:10 PM
airport express taking forever to connect after sleep GrannySmith_G5 Mac Peripherals 2 May 23, 2005 03:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC