Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Nov 17, 2008, 07:24 PM   #1
PCMacfly
macrumors newbie

iMovie 8 - need help fading in a music track

Silly question, but I'm a recent converter to Mac as well, so forgive me... I'm new to iMovie and I have a little video editing experience, and I'm using iMovie 8 to make a new DVD on my new MacBook. http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/wink.gif

In one of my projects, I added music in the middle of a scene and it appears to be locked around those scenes. This is fine, and I actually like the idea of it being "docked" to those scenes so I can add scenes before and after it without losing syncronization. But when the music is docked, I can't figure out how to fade in the music track at the beginning of the scenes and fade out music at the end of the scenes. I also trimmed the music track to start at a specific point in the song, but its very abrupt and I would like to fade it in.

Any suggestions?

-PCMacfly
PCMacfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 08:24 PM   #2
NeoMayhem
macrumors 6502a

I dont think you can. This is why a lot of people still use iMovie HD instead of 8.
NeoMayhem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:30 AM   #3
Courtaj
macrumors 6502a

Select the music track (you'll see a yellow box around the green audio "field" when selected), then click on the audio tool (to the right, along the central tool bar between event library and project library panes - it looks like a speaker with a waveform coming out of it). Select manual fade in / fade out and adjust accordingly.

I find that iMovie '08 coordinates reasonably well with Garageband for anything slightly more adventurous than adjusting fades: import your clip to GB, edit and adjust as you see fit, mix down and save to the GB folder, then back in iMovie '08 select the GB folder instead of the iTunes folder from the Music & Sound Effects pane.

Andrew.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 08:38 AM   #4
PCMacfly
macrumors newbie

iMovie 8 - need help fading in a music track

Awesome, thanks Andrew
PCMacfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video