Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:12 PM   #1
Black&Tan
macrumors 6502a

Snow Leopard and Postscript Fonts?

It's been quite a while since I've looked into this, and the last I heard was a big negative. The fonts were the catching point...is Snow Leopard finally good to go with CS5 and Quark 8.5?

Thanks!
Mark.
Black&Tan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:21 PM   #2
macstudent
macrumors 6502

There are not currently any problems with postscript fonts that I am aware of with Snow Leopard. There was an issue a few months (maybe a year) ago with non-pro apps creating PDFs with PostScript fonts. Apps (like TextEdit) which do not have a native export to PDF function, had a problem embedding the fonts. However, that issue has been fixed if you are fully patched.

Be aware that this NEVER caused any problems with pro Apps like InDesign, Quark, Illustrator, etc.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Black&Tan
macrumors 6502a

Actually, that's not true. Snow Leopard's font implementation caused the text in previously created documents to reflow. This occurred in InDesign, QuarkXpress, Flash, etc. The general recommendation by the design community was to avoid Snow Leopard until the font issue has been resolved. Now that Lion is imminent, and Snow Leopard will be a requirement to upgrade, I'm wondering if Snow Leopard is acceptable to use in a design production environment.
Black&Tan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics