Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jinsou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Hello,

I'm just starting a class with C# and need a good compiler for it. I have an xp partition through bootcamp with msdn programs on it, but i dislike rebooting to it, or going to it through VMWare fusion. If Xcode is the way, then please guide me through the right direction,I've been programming on C++ for a while now and just discovered a few months ago that it was under command line utility in Xcode. I heard something about The Mono-Project If anyone has used this and can give me a review, then be welcome!

Jin

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I'm a software developer and I use C#. I find that developing software using Microsoft Visual Studio and Windows is much easier and less of a hassle. If I need to do my work on my Macbook Pro/iMac, I just use Parallels to run Windows XP.

ManWithhat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
MonoDevelop is a great app. Unfortunately, it's early in its development cycle. If you build from the source, I'd suggest it. As the current mac version is, though . . I really suggest using MS Visual Studios.

Glinarien

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
GNU compiler gcc/g++ is what you want.

I'm not sure if it is part of macos proper. It may be.
I also installed the (free) :apple: apple developer's CD content.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
The Mono guys have finally realized that there is a Mac user and developer base that would be very interested in programming in C#. So since Mono 2, they are putting some effort into more or less native looking Windows.Forms --AND-- native Gtk-support (where they actually use the native Gtk+ port from Imendio.)

MonoDevelop and the Mono-based iTunes-Klon Banshee are now running as native GUI applications on OS X.

However, Mono apps still look very alien on OS X, and it will probably take them a couple of years to get this done right.

Sure, there is Cocoa#, a Mono/C#-binding for Cocoa, but there's not enough development power behind it and it's also not really what a C# developer wants to use, I think. (Is there -any- C# developer out there who wants to use anything other than System.Windows.Forms and the Visual Studio Form Designer?)

For server-side development, Mono has been working great for a long time already on OS X. If that's what you want to do, then nothing's holding you back from using C# on OS X.

For C#-based game development on OS X, you should look at the game development tool called "Unity". It uses a modified and embedded version of Mono and you can code all your game logic in C# -- and ONLY on the Mac - in it. There is also an additional tool available for it that can deploy your games to the Wii console AND THE iPHONE! Check out unity3d.com for more info and a demo.

On the homepage of the Mono project, they are also running a survey specifically for OS X users what features of Mono they would be mostly interested in.

Mono still fully supports PowerPC Macs (although Banshee only runs on Intel Macs), which is probably thanks to Novell's enterprise customers who run large servers on Linux with Power 5/6 CPUs. As one of the very few remaining distributions, Novell openSUSE officially also still supports PowerPC architectures, by the way.

Just download Mono and give it a shot.

If you're using BBEdit or TextWrangler, you can also find an older but still very well working "codeless" language module for C# somewhere on the web.

satyam90

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
Bangalore, India

olly page

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
Im a novice that wants to learn how to program

I'm a software developer and I use C#. I find that developing software using Microsoft Visual Studio and Windows is much easier and less of a hassle. If I need to do my work on my Macbook Pro/iMac, I just use Parallels to run Windows XP.

Hey i am interested in leaning how to program, i read that you are one so i wanted to ask you a few questions,
1. What do you suggest i learn how to do if i want to create applications (for iphone) and video games (xbox 360), i know its not going to be easy but i have to start somewhere.
2. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Video-Game-for-the-Xbox-360
this is a site that should teach me how to do it but it tells me that i have to know two things b4 i begin so, can u recommend a program for me or a tutorial that i can learn how to do them.
3. I use a mac book, i was reading a bunch of articles and stuff and i was wondering if there was a difference between C++ and C#, i also would like to know which one would be better for me to learn, that way i can try and for fill my dream (lol) of designing a video game and making applications(for the iphone) , Thanks for your help

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Hey i am interested in leaning how to program, i read that you are one so i wanted to ask you a few questions,
1. What do you suggest i learn how to do if i want to create applications (for iphone) and video games (xbox 360), i know its not going to be easy but i have to start somewhere.
2. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Video-Game-for-the-Xbox-360
this is a site that should teach me how to do it but it tells me that i have to know two things b4 i begin so, can u recommend a program for me or a tutorial that i can learn how to do them.
3. I use a mac book, i was reading a bunch of articles and stuff and i was wondering if there was a difference between C++ and C#, i also would like to know which one would be better for me to learn, that way i can try and for fill my dream (lol) of designing a video game and making applications(for the iphone) , Thanks for your help

You have a lot of work to do, and from the looks of it, I don't think you realize how difficult is what you are asking.

Start learning C++ first, that is the language that is mostly used in modern games, and is supported by all major platforms and consoles. When you learn how to build cross-platform applications, look into OpenGL or DirectX. Get a book, read a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.