Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 18, 2008, 04:59 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Nokia confirms wide Mac support in 2009

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Nokia confirms wide Mac support in 2009
Description:: Nokia holds plans to extend its support for the Mac platform, revealed Nokia Conversations today.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2008, 05:46 PM   #2
superleccy
macrumors 6502a

Very funny. A bit late now, don't you think?

If Nokia had supported Mac for the four years I owned a Mac and a Nokia, then maybe I wouldn't have switched to an iPhone.

Oh alright, I'd have switched to an iPhone anyway.

SL
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:17 PM   #3
rickdollar
macrumors 6502

Huh?

What the heck did that guy say?

BTW, nice avatar superleccy. They're the best.
rickdollar is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleccy View Post
Very funny. A bit late now, don't you think?

If Nokia had supported Mac for the four years I owned a Mac and a Nokia, then maybe I wouldn't have switched to an iPhone.

Oh alright, I'd have switched to an iPhone anyway.

SL
Well, its marketshare.

There wouldn't have been much point four years ago, with only 3% marketshare. Why would any company put all that effort in for such a tiny market? The investment wouldn't have been worthwhile.

However, now, its different, with Macs becoming more popular and its marketshare growing every quarter. Happy times!

Personally, I'm hoping for a OSX Nokia backup client.

Last edited by Stella; Nov 18, 2008 at 06:47 PM.
Stella is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:35 PM   #5
StarShot
macrumors 6502a

Who cares? Is Nokia still around?
StarShot is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:39 PM   #6
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleccy View Post
To be fair, they've never had their (generally less than impressive*) software suite for OS X, but in 2003, in Panther, almost 50% of the support list for iSync was Nokia, and all the products on the list with the most complete iSync support were Nokia. My Nokia was the second most-trouble free experience I had with a phone on OS X after my iPhone.

* Although one really great feature it did have even five years ago was the ability to sync a phone automatically when it moved into range and had not been recently synced.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 12:34 AM   #7
superleccy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
Well, its marketshare.

There wouldn't have been much point four years ago, with only 3% marketshare. Why would any company put all that effort in for such a tiny market? The investment wouldn't have been worthwhile.
Indeed. I was speaking from a selfish point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
To be fair, they've never had their (generally less than impressive*) software suite for OS X, but in 2003, in Panther, almost 50% of the support list for iSync was Nokia, and all the products on the list with the most complete iSync support were Nokia.
Probably true, but probably largely because Nokia had (and still have) so many handset models. I had to wait until Tiger before I could get my Nokia-of-choice working with iSync at all, and it was only fairly recently (admittedly via a free iSync plugin from Nokia themselves) that I could do this without the aid of hacks or paid-for add-ons. Even then, the results were often less than perfect. Also, features that have been supported for years in Windows-land, such as firmware upgrades and backups, have never been available on OS X.

Of course, it doesn't matter now anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdollar View Post
BTW, nice avatar superleccy. They're the best.
Oh yes.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion