Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGuy84

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
I can always hear my fan running on my new macbook. It isnt that loud, in fact it is pretty quite most of the time. The thing is that my old Black MB didnt really make any sound from the fan until I started to really push the computer (watching videos online and running some pretty intensive apps) and now with my new macbook i can hear the fan when im in a quite room.

Ive been doing some searching here on the forums and i cant really find a straight answer on this subject. To make things worse i went to best buy today and i really couldnt hear anything out of the macbooks on display, yet it is pretty noisy in the store and that could have drowned out the faint sound of the fan.

Your help is really appreciated.
Thanks guys.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
My fan usually runs around 2000 rpm when the computer is just surfing the net, e-mail etc. I can't really hear the fan running though unless I put my ear close to it. When I run a game or graphic intensive app (like a video) the fan ramps up and I can start to hear it.

I would suggest running a widget like istat pro which will tell you the fan speed. If the fan speed is around the same as mine and you think the fan is louder than it should be I'd make a genius appointment and have them take a look. Fan could have a bad bearing.

MacGuy84

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
My fan usually runs around 2000 rpm when the computer is just surfing the net, e-mail etc. I can't really hear the fan running though unless I put my ear close to it. When I run a game or graphic intensive app (like a video) the fan ramps up and I can start to hear it.

I would suggest running a widget like istat pro which will tell you the fan speed. If the fan speed is around the same as mine and you think the fan is louder than it should be I'd make a genius appointment and have them take a look. Fan could have a bad bearing.

Thanks, I downloaded istat but it doesnt show the fan speed. I even toggled the menu setting to show and hide fan info but it still didnt show.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
Thanks, I downloaded istat but it doesnt show the fan speed. I even toggled the menu setting to show and hide fan info but it still didnt show.

Just to let you know, they fans are supposed to run. Why would they be there otherwise? :confused:

MacGuy84

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Just to let you know, they fans are supposed to run. Why would they be there otherwise? :confused:

Obviously they are supposed to run; that is common sense. What I was asking was if they should be running all the time, even when i first open the computer i hear them start spinning right away. I could not hear them running this soon on my old macbook and it seems odd to me that they are heard even when the computer is still relatively cool.

me2000

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Obviously they are supposed to run; that is common sense. What I was asking was if they should be running all the time, even when i first open the computer i hear them start spinning right away. I could not hear them running this soon on my old macbook and it seems odd to me that they are heard even when the computer is still relatively cool.

Of course... that's normal for computers...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.