Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 18, 2008, 10:32 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

How to prevent the App Store from becoming the crapware doll...

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: How to prevent the App Store from becoming the crapware dollar store
Description:: A simple proposal for promoting higher quality apps in the store.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:49 PM   #2
P-Worm
macrumors 68020

That was a very interesting article, though I am not sure that their proposed solution would fix the problem at all. If this hole is plugged, either another will be found or created.

P-Worm
P-Worm is offline   0
Old Nov 19, 2008, 12:46 AM   #3
nagromme
macrumors G5

Interesting idea. If nothing else, I'd like to see that as one of the options for sorting apps.

Maybe have the home page show a random selection each time you visit it--one of the following top-10 lists, featured prominently, with a dropdown menu to see all of the lists:

* Top volume apps this week
* Top volume in past 3 months

* Top grossing this week
* Top grossing 3 months

* Top rated this week
* Top rated 3 months

* Apple's chosen featured apps
* Top games
* Top non-games

In the end, though, the solution to good software getting recognized may lie outside of iTunes: non-Apple community sites and review sites becoming widely popular. (Much the way I find games on TouchArcade.com that I would not have found in the store itself.)
nagromme is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion