Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Changepoint

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I'm selling PowerBook and want to clean up everything beforehand, but I don't want apps like PS and Dreamweaver to be deleted. Does the restore CD that comes with the PB remove all the 3rd party apps I've installed?

Thanks

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I'm selling PowerBook and want to clean up everything beforehand, but I don't want apps like PS and Dreamweaver to be deleted. Does the restore CD that comes with the PB remove all the 3rd party apps I've installed?

Thanks

The restore will do a fresh install and erase your apps.

My suggestions:

Option 1 - Just reinstall the apps after a system restore. You have the install CDs, right??

Option 2 - Create new user account, then delete the old accounts. Use disk utility to erase the free space. Your software will still show your details.

Changepoint

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
The restore will do a fresh install and erase your apps.

My suggestions:

Option 1 - Just reinstall the apps after a system restore. You have the install CDs, right??

Option 2 - Create new user account, then delete the old accounts. Use disk utility to erase the free space. Your software will still show your details.

I don't have the install CD's. Would it be possible to copy the Apps onto a flash drive and copy them back on after the restore?

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I would suggest booting from your Restore DVD and using Disk Utility to erase the drive. You can set the security options to zero the drive if you want. Once that is done finish running the restore. That should make the system appear the same as the day you bought it.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
No you can't just copy the apps to a flash drive. There are many support files installed for those apps besides just the .app file and they won't work without them.

While this isn't what you want to hear, you shouldn't include software to which you cannot provide the (original) install media. That violates most EULAs and pretty much screams, "bootleg".

That's my opinion, take it for what it's worth...

Changepoint

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
No you can't just copy the apps to a flash drive. There are many support files installed for those apps besides just the .app file and they won't work without them.

While this isn't what you want to hear, you shouldn't include software to which you cannot provide the (original) install media. That violates most EULAs and pretty much screams, "bootleg".

That's my opinion, take it for what it's worth...

but I won't get as much for it!! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.