Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Nov 19, 2008, 03:27 PM   #1
Borjan
macrumors regular

Help! iPhone cannot restore from DFU mode!

Hi there.

Bought an iPhone off eBay, the guy said he couldn't get it to restore, thought I would take a crack at it...

Turned out he wasn't joking.

It's currently stuck on the 'Connect to iTunes' screen. This is the 'normal' restore mode. I've tried restoring from that the normal way, through iTunes, without luck.

I've also put my phone into DFU mode (with the blank screen) and still no luck restoring from iTunes.

I have also downloaded custom firmware, and the old 1.14 firmware, and option clicked (both in normal and DFU restore mode) without luck.

I get errors every time, at the end of the restore when it is verifying iPod firmware on the device. Usually 1011. Sometimes 1600.

Is there anything else I can try? (btw done a this all on a Powerbook G4... many times. Also a few times on a friends Vista Laptop. Still no joy!)
Old Nov 19, 2008, 04:00 PM   #2
TheConfuzed1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to TheConfuzed1
Turn off the phone, plug it into a USB port, and turn it back on, while holding the home button (still plugged into USB), to see if you can force a restore.
GameCenter: theconfuzed1
TheConfuzed1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 06:01 PM   #3
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borjan View Post
Hi there.

Bought an iPhone off eBay, the guy said he couldn't get it to restore, thought I would take a crack at it...

Turned out he wasn't joking.

It's currently stuck on the 'Connect to iTunes' screen. This is the 'normal' restore mode. I've tried restoring from that the normal way, through iTunes, without luck.

I've also put my phone into DFU mode (with the blank screen) and still no luck restoring from iTunes.

I have also downloaded custom firmware, and the old 1.14 firmware, and option clicked (both in normal and DFU restore mode) without luck.

I get errors every time, at the end of the restore when it is verifying iPod firmware on the device. Usually 1011. Sometimes 1600.

Is there anything else I can try? (btw done a this all on a Powerbook G4... many times. Also a few times on a friends Vista Laptop. Still no joy!)
Ok you mention an iPhone, but you say it gets stuck when verifying iPod software? Anyway, take it to Apple. Make them restore it. That way they will issue you a new one (if it is within warranty that is) if they can't restore it.

If they ask if you hacked it, of coarse say no...
Old Nov 20, 2008, 02:28 AM   #4
Borjan
macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice guys!

The worst thing is the warranty expired a few days ago!

ARGHHH!!!!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:11 AM   #5
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borjan View Post
Thanks for the advice guys!

The worst thing is the warranty expired a few days ago!

ARGHHH!!!!
Just plead your case to the Genius. Explain to him you had a problem and tried to Restore but to no success. Then tell him that warranty just expired like a day ago or so. I'm sure they can help.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:13 PM   #6
Borjan
macrumors regular

Thanks guys, I've booked an appointment and I'm going in tomorrow..

Cheers! Fingers crossed.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 01:58 PM   #7
gkarris
macrumors 604

My understanding is that they will fix any phone for $249 out of warranty. You give them the broken one and the money and they bring out a refurbished one.

At least you'll get a tested phone and not totally loose out.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks