Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Nov 19, 2008, 06:49 PM   #1
sagarrana55
macrumors member

Step-by-Step Guide to Restore iPhone.

One of the most commonly asked questions by iPhone users who want to jailbreak their iPhone is: "Is possible to recover if things go horribly wrong while trying to hack their iPhone?"
The answer is yes.

Before we start, please note that the step-by-step guide involves restoring your iPhone so you should know that this would mean that all your personal data from your iPhone, including songs, videos, contacts, photos, calendar information, and any other data will be wiped out and your iPhone's settings will be restored to their factory settings. However, you always have the option to recover your personal data from the backup.

Here is the step-by-step guide to revirginize or restore your jailbroken iPhone:

* Connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC and select your iPhone from the list of devices in iTunes. If things had gone horribly wrong while hacking your iPhone and iTunes does not detect your iPhone then you will need to put it in DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode.
o You can follow these steps to put your iPhone in DFU mode (this is required only if iTunes does not recognize your iPhone):
+ Connect your iPhone to your computer.
+ Turn iPhone off.
+ Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly).
+ Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
+ A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.
* In the Summary Tab, click on the Restore button.

* iTunes should prompt you if you would wish to take a backup of your iPhone before restoring. Select Backup.

* After the backup is taken select the Restore option when iTunes prompts you.

* Once the restore process has completed your iPhone will restart and the Apple logo will appear while booting up.
* After the restore is complete and your iPhone restarts you will see the “Connect to Activate” screen. You must continue to keep your iPhone connected to complete activation.

* The last step is to set up your iPhone either from a backup or set up as a "new iPhone". If you are planning to take the iPhone to the Apple Store, its advisable to setup your iPhone as a "new iPhone" else you can select the date of your backup that you want to restore to. You can always follow the above procedure to restore from a backup at a later date.

i hope admins of this website put this thread in sticky forum..
sagarrana55 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 05:38 PM   #2
andy317
macrumors member

I'll be the first to say "Thanks for the guide".

I have not yet tried to jailbreak my iPhone 3g but after looking around and seeing this guide I may well go ahead and do it if it is impossible to "brick" it.

Thanks again for the info.

Andy
6G iPod Nano (8GB)
andy317 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 02:22 AM   #3
serdaryilmaztr
macrumors newbie

Good guide. Thank you
serdaryilmaztr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 06:38 PM   #4
dukebound85
macrumors P6

so without a doubt, impossible to brick?

i could have sworn i heard bricking stories with jailbreaking, although that was when it first came to be a year or so ago. has that been resolved now i hope?
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:41 AM   #5
gadstylee
Banned

Did you missed the restoration part?
Where are my files now!?
I must say its Good still.
gadstylee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:34 PM   #6
Vitalogy
macrumors newbie

Hey, when i click on restore the prompt for back-up doesnt come up. it only ask if im sure if i want to restore it back to its factory settings?

any help would be great.

Thx
Vitalogy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 09:47 PM   #7
applequicktips
macrumors newbie

Thanks a bunch

This is a great, simple guide.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Lommedalen
macrumors newbie

iTunes 8.0.2 does not recognize iphone in DFU mode after Pwnagetool 2.2

Hi, After reading your guide I wondered if you could help me. After downloading 2.2 version software from Apple and running Pwnagetool 2.2 on my iPhone 1G I can not get iTunes 8.0.2 to recognize the phone in DFU mode. I just get a message that there is an unidentified error or that I have a non valid SIM card. Strangely enough I can make and receive calls on the phone but everything else is locked with the connect to iTunes start up screen.

Help
Lommedalen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:20 AM   #9
iHarsh
macrumors newbie

Nice but......

a pretty nice thread but dude DFU stands for Device Failsafe Utility and not Device Firmware Upgrade.....only so you know!!!
iHarsh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:38 AM   #10
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
+1 ^^^ on DFU acronym, maybe we can just stick to DFU since there's several different definitions online, but nothing from the Apple.com website. Beyond that, awesome "sticky!"

Last edited by SFStateStudent; Jan 29, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
SFStateStudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 04:33 PM   #11
Snide
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHarsh View Post
a pretty nice thread but dude DFU stands for Device Failsafe Utility and not Device Firmware Upgrade.....only so you know!!!
I've been Jailbreaking since firmware version 1.02, and I seriously thought it stood for:

Don't F*#k Up.
Snide is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:17 PM   #12
Clete2
macrumors 6502a

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE EASY GUIDE!

My first jailbreak attempt ended with my phone being stuck on the Apple logo! Yikes! Turns out that I left iTunes running. Oops.

Restoring now .
Old Feb 7, 2009, 04:11 PM   #13
kemo
macrumors 6502a

Thanks

great guide, thank you for the post!
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:14 AM   #14
Archaon
macrumors newbie

So even if I jailbreak the phone successfully, at a later stage I can just restore the phone? Would this also mean that a complete restore would make the phone network locked again?

Thanks
Archaon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:42 AM   #15
Chronimac
macrumors member

is this process good enough to bring it into an apple store? i've heard of things that get left over from a jailbreak even after a restore. if this is true, what are some things that will sometimes remain, so i can check?

Last edited by Chronimac; Feb 26, 2009 at 11:24 AM.
Chronimac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 07:57 PM   #16
chr1s60
macrumors 65816

Thank you, this post was a life saver!!! I attempted to jailbreak my iPhone 3G with QuickPwn and got stuck in a continuous loop of restarts that didn't work. This post got me back to normal. I will attempt to jailbreak later now that I know I have this option. Thanks again.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 08:16 AM   #17
Glert
macrumors member

I followed this guide and the process seemed to go smooth but something is odd. One of the things I installed when I JB was the numeric battery meter and after the full restore, its still there! I even tried the restore again but I can't get that to go away. Does this mean the restore didn't work? None of the other icons (Cydia, Installer, Boss Prefs) are there anymore. Thanks for any help.
Glert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:55 PM   #18
wannabelean
macrumors regular

how do you replace the new boot logos(the jailbroken ones) with the apple ones? or are they restored automatically when a restore/factory state is invoked? Im using a Iphone 3G with 2.2.1.

Thanks
wannabelean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:28 AM   #19
worntilltorn
macrumors newbie

great guide..now i have the confidence to JB..

However, will we need to unlock the phone again after this recovery happens?
worntilltorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 02:02 PM   #20
yomnym
macrumors regular

I would have to have the latest software 2.2.1 installed or purchased on Itunes so the phone could restore it the latest one? The activation process, im using tmobile.. would this simply mean just putting in my SIM card with its adapter and register? Thank you
yomnym is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:54 AM   #21
martinmartin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glert View Post
I followed this guide and the process seemed to go smooth but something is odd. One of the things I installed when I JB was the numeric battery meter and after the full restore, its still there! I even tried the restore again but I can't get that to go away. Does this mean the restore didn't work? None of the other icons (Cydia, Installer, Boss Prefs) are there anymore. Thanks for any help.
Same thing happened to me. Even after I restored, it still has a percentage where the battery icon usually is.

Anyone know how to get the battery back to normal?
martinmartin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:02 AM   #22
thisguy23
macrumors newbie

Activation

Good post, I sent it to my wife for some help to keep on file when we can't talk. I'm in the Navy and on deployment and I will have some time to tether and dl OS 3.0 soon and my question is do I need internet through iTunes to activate my phone after install of OS or when it connects to the cell tower will it activate? I won't have internet on my mbp bc its only tehtered through my phone due to being on a ship. The soonest I will be able to get internet is a while after that. Any body have an answer or a way around that with hacktivating? Thanks for your help. I've been out for 5 months and havent been able to get the update and I want it bad!
2 Black 16 GB iPhone 3G's
thisguy23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 01:18 PM   #23
goodwin
macrumors newbie

Not able to choose restore point/date

Thanks for the guide, Im new to jailbreak'ing.
I had everything working with Cydia, but after a short while the Cydia app wouldnt load fully, I re-JB my phone but still the same problem. It just kept kicking me out after a few seconds of loading.

So, I then followed this guide and made a backup of my iphone, restored it to factory and then activated.
When I came to restore I wasnt able to select a date as in the guide, I have made a backup earlier today and again a few days back. I could only restore to the one point before I reset the phone, will this still make it look like a clean install without being previously JB?

I need to restore to get my contacts back, so not able to keep it at a clean install.
goodwin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 04:25 AM   #24
jackkorner
macrumors newbie

Thanks sagarrana55 for starting this thread.The instructions are really good and thanks for inserting those images also.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:39 AM   #25
jrm27
macrumors 6502

Great thread. I did a jailbreak a few months ago, and now realize that i don't use any of the jailbroken features. So, I'm just going to put it at stock. With thi sprocess, will it restore all my contacts that I've input since the jailbreak, or are those going to be lost?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks