Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Would it be possible to get an App approved on the App store that looks like the Calculator icon, but when you open it up, it should look exactly like the calculator and it should work exactly like the calculator EXCEPT when you type in a secret code on the calculator interface that brings you to a secret area with pictures and videos that you put on your iPhone?

That would be cool... anyone else will just think it's a calculator, but it's really a passcode area.

qwanza

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
They used to have that on installer, it was called hidepod or something. Although I do believe that an app like that wouldn't be accepted as it goes against SDK

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
Would it be possible to get an App approved on the App store that looks like the Calculator icon, but when you open it up, it should look exactly like the calculator and it should work exactly like the calculator EXCEPT when you type in a secret code on the calculator interface that brings you to a secret area with pictures and videos that you put on your iPhone?

That would be cool... anyone else will just think it's a calculator, but it's really a passcode area.

Learn to use the passlock code.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Passcode lock is best bet. If not why not use something like one of the file share programs. On most you can set files and directories as private.

Unless you are trying to hide something from somebody who has access to your phone and don't want it to appear you have any sensitive stuff up there I don't know why the above wouldn't be sufficient.

If your phone is jailbroken could also put the data in some directory. Use a program like mobile terminal to bring it up when needed and when not needed use bossprefs to hide the mobile terminal icon or uninstall mobile terminal.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
There's an application called "PicVault" which has a fake calculator screen, and if you enter the right PIN number then it brings you to a directory of hidden pictures.

I don't think it does video though. If having a password protected application that can store videos too is more important than the fake calculator front, I'd recommend the "Files" application.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No, I don't think Apple would allow an app through that didn't do exactly what it said.

stubby5000

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
iDiscrete

dudes, the app you are looking for is called iDiscrete.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/idisc...370574724?mt=8

it "password protects" by registering a defined touch sequence on a "Loading" screen. very slick, as i've always thought asking for a password seemed very suspicious... icon and shown name (iD) is meant to cover the real purpose of the app. this is as covert as you can get, since Apple will not allow an app to change its icon/name.
there is, however, a jailbreak version of this app on Rock, i think it's called iDiscrete JB. it lets you choose your own icon/name, or hide it as an Apple app (like Stocks or Contacts for example)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.