Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
I was wondering are the mac minis used for mac mini colo really dedicated or do they cluster them, so they alll share the resources of each other.

What specs would be needed to run a forum?

Is it worth it, or would it be cheaper to host at home?

Can a mac mini run smf through mac osx?

rrr

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2004
MacMiniColo is great. The mini is your own. You either send them one, or buy one (new) from them.

I can't speak to your economics, but I can say that my experience with MacMiniColo has been excellent.

rrr

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
rrr is right, they are all dedicated machines since they are individually owned. I know quite a few of them are running forums, though I'm not sure about smf.

I'd recommend getting the lower cost mini and putting the extra money into RAM. You can put 3GB of RAM in the current minis.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
rrr is right, they are all dedicated machines since they are individually owned. I know quite a few of them are running forums, though I'm not sure about smf.

I'd recommend getting the lower cost mini and putting the extra money into RAM. You can put 3GB of RAM in the current minis.

Do you know what kind of free forum software can run on a mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.