Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released an update to iTunes to version 8.0.2. The update is available in your Mac OS X software update.
iTunes 8.0.2 improves stability and performance and provides a number of important bug fixes, including:

- Addresses a quality issue creating MP3s on some computers.
- Fixes a connectivity issue with the iTunes Store when using some Internet proxies with Mac OS X.
- Improves accessibility with VoiceOver.
The update comes just one day ahead of the rumored release of iPhone Firmware 2.2.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 8.0.2

aznkid25

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
I hope the 2.2 firmware does come out tommorrow. But how much will it cost for ipod touch owners? iTunes 8.0.2 is also out for PC users

jawzzy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2007
New York
I've been hoping for a snappy version of iTunes for quite some time. This is not it, but I've been wondering if Apple is going to clean up and speed up their bundled apps when Snow Leopard comes along. My iTunes practically needs a splash screen!

corinhorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2008
USA
As I know several people who use the VoiceOver feature on their Macs, I think it is sweet that Apple is improving functionality for this in iTunes.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
Can anyone check to see if scroll-wheel volume adjustment in the MiniPlayer is active when the mouse is over any part of the player? iTunes 8.0 changed the behavior so that the it was just active over the volume slider... I'm waiting for them to change it back before upgrading. Thanks!

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
What quality issue with MP3's?

What issue are they talking about with creating MP3's on some computers?

I've never had a problem making MP3's on any of my computers. Are they now telling me that they would sound better if I had waited until this update to make my MP3's?

I hadn't had any complaints about the sound before. So, I'm not sure what they mean by quality issues.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
I've been hoping for a snappy version of iTunes for quite some time. This is not it, but I've been wondering if Apple is going to clean up and speed up their bundled apps when Snow Leopard comes along. My iTunes practically needs a splash screen!

Me too. iTunes is a pig. I have a large library (about 600 gigs), and the damn thing performs about as well as an old Ford Pinto.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
Does anybody notice any difference in anything? Sound quality? UI changes?
60MB sounds big in a software update.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
What are the updates to Safari? Just bug fixes or are there some UI changes?

So far, all we have heard is that they are moving the search bar... Do simple UI change, and I am sure bug fixes galore as mobile safari is way buggy still.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Does anybody notice any difference in anything? Sound quality? UI changes?
60MB sounds big in a software update.

Considering it still has to cater to PPC Macs and Intel Macs, it's essentially doubling the code base AFAIK. This is where Snow Leopard will make the largest impact.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Now really, just what are you so excited about? 2.2 dosen't really seem that impressive, from what we've read to date. An update to Google Maps? Adding the search bar to the safari browser?

I mean cmon, an update is nice, but nothing here to get too excited about.

Honestly, I'm excited about wireless podcast updates. I've been wanting that since I got the iPod Touch. ( I hate having to pull out my MacBook Pro to simply update a podcast while at work.)

Can anyone check to see if scroll-wheel volume adjustment in the MiniPlayer is active when the mouse is over any part of the player? iTunes 8.0 changed the behavior so that the it was just active over the volume slider... I'm waiting for them to change it back before upgrading. Thanks!

It works if you have it over the volume section. Feel free to update!

wow, now that must be a nice music collection! :rolleyes:

Maybe there is some uncompress audio? I know my 320kbps Beetles collection is in the 4gb range.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Considering it still has to cater to PPC Macs and Intel Macs, it's essentially doubling the code base AFAIK. This is where Snow Leopard will make the largest impact.

They're not going to stop updating iTunes for PPC just because Snow Leopard comes out and is Intel-only (assuming it actually is). Anyway, only the actual code has to be duplicated, which doesn't double the size, because all the other resources apply to both.

--Eric

jaredmauch

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
iTunes diff

Something that is included in every iTunes update is an updated AppleMobileDeviceSupport. If you are technically savvy enough, you may be able to find any relevant differences between the old package and the new one.

Old: http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...gF669p43QSmCz4nj/AppleMobileDeviceSupport.tar
New: http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...4mYMWMQ3x6s7KCKx/AppleMobileDeviceSupport.tar

I also view this as lending some credence to the rumor of 2.2 (or 2.1.1) tomorrow. Perhaps MobileSafari will crash less?

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
I'm checking for updates for apps and it's stuck on "Accessing iTunes Store" for 10min+ I'm able to access the iTunes store normally, but I just can't check for app updates :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.