Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eraxxer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Hello there,

I bought an external mac keyboard and mouse with a apple cinema display. I would like to turn on the macbook pro from a key stroke on the esternal mac keyboard instead of having to open the lid everytime.

Is this possible? i know that a century ago with the performas and other mac models this was possible.

Is there a way?

thanks!!

jwang392

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
Hawaii
I've been looking for the same, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to come up with anything. I just open the lid, turn it on and close the lid. Though, now I'm also looking for a way to get Dual-Monitors with the laptop.

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
With an ACD you should just be able to use the touch sensitive power button on the right side and it should power it on. I know if the computer is on it will bring up the power off dialogue, so I assume when the computer is off it will start it up.

Eraxxer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Hey jwang392, let me know if you get the answer on your question. Something that i might end up doing later with my macbook pro for Final Cut Pro

Later

cm

Kr3st

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
My macbook pro turns on while its closed, without me wanting it to. If I touch it a certain way or set it down in oddly it will turn on as if I was to open the screen. Doesn't make any sense to me.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
This would be a fantastic feature to have! Right now, it's open lid, turn on MBP, close lid (and watch it go into standby) then push mouse button to get out of standby.

Not only that but using the wireless Apple keyboard sucks when I want to go into Windows. Have to open lid, restart, and use the MBP keyboard because the bluetooth isn't initialized yet. Guess I'll get the wired one.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Just don't turn your MBP off, put it to sleep or let it do so itself instead. Then you just wake it up with the lid closed using an external keyboard or mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.