Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 23, 2008, 06:38 AM   #1
iToTheBook
macrumors newbie

iBook Clamshell Help!

I'm have an old iBook Clamshell 320mb of RAM with OS X 10.2.8 installed, and today I tried to replace the Extras.rsrc with the "Liger" theme (you know the one that makes it look like leopard?) but I didn't know it wouldn't work with 10.2 so I took the original put it in a folder on the desktop called 'SYSTEM FILES NEEDED DONT DELETE' and then I restarted the computer, and it won't boot to the login screen and just stays blue with the cursor. Is there some way I can fix this without installing 10.1.4 again, and not sending it to a friend who can install 10.2.8? NOTE: I ONLY HAVE THE 10.1.4 install disk.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 07:21 AM   #2
iToTheBook
macrumors newbie

Oh yeah I don't have a dvd drive in the computer.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:19 AM   #3
aross99
macrumors 68000

Can you boot to single user mode (hold CMD-S during boot?) and get to a command prompt? That would allow you to move the files back in place and reboot.
aross99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:47 AM   #4
iToTheBook
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 View Post
Can you boot to single user mode (hold CMD-S during boot?) and get to a command prompt? That would allow you to move the files back in place and reboot.
Yes I can boot into single-user mode but I don't know what commands to do.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 07:30 PM   #5
aross99
macrumors 68000

Do you know where the file needs to go?

You need the full path name of the directory (folder) where it goes, and then you can use the "mv" command from the command prompt to move the file from the location you save it, back to where it should go.

This is going to be a little tricky since you have spaces in the name of the folder where you saved it. I am not sure where that should be extacly, but I found this location on the web:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources

You can put double quotes around the file name though, like this:

mv "Desktop/SYSTEM FILES NEEDED DONT DELETE/Extras.rsrc" /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources

Try pasting this into your terminal window and then pressing RETURN to move the file.

This should move the file from your saved location to the folder listed above.

A couple of things to be aware of:

1. I am not sure that this is where the file should go. I don't have 10.2.8 loaded, so I can't verify this.
2. Moving the file could cause permission issues, but at this point, I don't think you have anything to lose.
3. You could get an error relating to the destination file being in use.

If you try this and get some error message, let us know what you get, and we will see if we can help...
aross99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs