Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

View Poll Results: Does DRM bother you?
Yes 20 83.33%
Nope 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:11 PM   #1
MatLane
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to MatLane Send a message via Yahoo to MatLane Send a message via Skype™ to MatLane
What do you think about DRM ?

To be quite honest i really dont get on with it

I just had that feeling of having a protection on the music we buy. I kind of feel like im renting it in a way when im buying off iTunes.

What do you guys think about DRM?

do you think iTunes will EVER be rid of DRM?

ML
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:15 PM   #2
nick9191
macrumors 68040

DRM is only a bother to legal users, pirates will always crack it.
DRM provides a challenge for people to crack.
CD's represent a lot of music sales, all DRM free, why put DRM on online music.
nick9191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:02 PM   #3
J the Ninja
macrumors 68000

DRM is yet another item in an decades-long string of idiot decisions by the music industry. How any of these companies are still in bussiness is nothing short of a miracle. I have stopped buying DRM'd music. The only thing it stops is fair use, pirates break it effortlessly. Of course, maybe that is the idea. I just buy CDs and iTunes Plus now.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:29 PM   #4
eji
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to eji Send a message via AIM to eji Send a message via MSN to eji Send a message via Yahoo to eji Send a message via Skype™ to eji
I understand why it exists, but from a user's standpoint I think it's one of the most irritating and counterproductive things known to man.

For example, I wanted to watch an episode of The Simpsons on my wife's MBP, which was purchased in the US, otherwise known as Region 1 in the DVD industry. The Simpsons box set, however, was purchased in Germany (aka Region 2).

I wasn't about to start eating into her allotted region-switches on the internal DVD player and VLC couldn't read the DVD for some reason. So I went on BitTorrent and downloaded the episode in about ten minutes.

A common example of a legitimate, authorized user who was frustrated and thwarted by DRM and instead turned to back-alley channels as a solution.

I've made one music purchase from the iTunes store to avoid the very same situation. iTunes Plus is a step in the right direction, but 256kbps is still too lossy for my tastes.

As someone above mentioned, DRM doesn't stop piracy (though it might delay it a day or two), it only nags and impedes legitimate users.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:31 PM   #5
MatLane
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to MatLane Send a message via Yahoo to MatLane Send a message via Skype™ to MatLane
Quote:
Originally Posted by eji View Post
I understand why it exists, but from a user's standpoint I think it's one of the most irritating and counterproductive things known to man.

For example, I wanted to watch an episode of The Simpsons on my wife's MBP, which was purchased in the US, otherwise known as Region 1 in the DVD industry. The Simpsons box set, however, was purchased in Germany (aka Region 2).

I wasn't about to start eating into her allotted region-switches on the internal DVD player and VLC couldn't read the DVD for some reason. So I went on BitTorrent and downloaded the episode in about ten minutes.

A common example of a legitimate, authorized user who was frustrated and thwarted by DRM and instead turned to back-alley channels as a solution.

I've made one music purchase from the iTunes store to avoid the very same situation. iTunes Plus is a step in the right direction, but 256kbps is still too lossy for my tastes.

As someone above mentioned, DRM doesn't stop piracy (though it might delay it a day or two), it only nags and impedes legitimate users.
Agreed. I can't stand it. I mean i do understand why these companies do it.

But like you said its still not stopping piracy. I believe in buying music and i dont like getting it free, always been the same.

I'm sure it will all change soon
Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:37 PM   #6
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Until I'm forced to use DRM I have no problem with it. Bittorrent man, bittorrent.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:32 PM   #7
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

DRM is a stupid attempt by movie, tv and music studios to keep piracy from happening. The problem is the people who do most of the pirating are the first to break any DRM, so you're basically just inconveniencing consumers.

Does anybody have a problem ripping most DVDs to their computer for use in iTunes? Not likely on here. If enough people want something, it WILL happen. If you want to stop piracy, prosecute the people who actually do it. Don't pull some Minority Report deal where you punish everybody.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod