Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Hello, I believe this is my first post, if not it has been a while...I hope I have done it correctly...As far as my problem goes, it is this: I am sharing a cable connection with my neighbor, who has a PC. While I was used to sharing files between platforms w/ os9(and Dave), I have never done it with osx(I currently have 10.2.8). Trying to get those things I wish to share open to his PC is proving somewhat counter-intuitive to me. If anyone could give me some constructive advice, I would appreciate it. I feel a little sheepish asking, as it is something I should know by now, and probably very easy...but I come to these forums daily and have always been impressed by the helpfulness and courtesy therein, so I thought I'd ask to save myself time and a headache...thanks in advance...(by the way, I have been on the fence on upgrading to 10.3...as related to my question, does panther make things easier?)

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
On Jaguar in the finder press apple-K
or on finder go to GO then Connect to server.
Thats all I remember. Also in Panther things are a lot easier, however networking is flaky and sometimes unreilible. so..... hope this helps
Ted

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
I have that side down pat...it is getting the PC to recognize me...appreciate the response though...

radhak

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
I have shared folders between 10.2.8 and win 2k via a Netgear wireless router. same steps - connect to server, and the name of the win machine came up on the mac side which i double clicked to access the folder on the win 2k (put to 'share' earlier).

according to the instructions the mac m/c would have been visible similarly on the win laptop too, but i never checked. (don't have the laptop here right now to try it again).

i found help on the net by googling for it. try it. i am guessing your network is 'wired'?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
for him to see your computer

networking for the mac is simple if you want to share with a windows computer. Open System Preferences, Open Sharing which probably in the 3rd row down. Then there should be in the second spot that can be checked, Windows Sharing. Check, and you are ready to go on the Mac side. Now the PC might need a reboot to reconize a new share on the network, and you might also need to open whole network, and then select the group.

The only thing is, the Mac is locked down, your friend will have to use a user name and password. Unless you put what you want to share with him in your public folder.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Thanks for the advice, it is the username/password thing that was such a confusing pain(for the PC to access me). I am glad for the security, but at times...anyhow,I think I am good to go...and yes, I am wired. I believe I will go the public folder route, unless there are better suggestions outthere...I am a sucker for simplicity...thanks again
As most of what I wish to share is on external HDs(as I have a laptop), can I get away with alias in my public folder, or a suggestion of a better way of accomplishing same task? appreciate it

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Thanks for the info/link. I think that will do it. You have been very helpful Varmit. I have grown to love these forums and its' members.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by blackfox
... I have grown to love these forums and its' members.

OT, but one of the things that draws me to the Mac is the community spirit. There's no helpfulness to newbies in the PC and Unix worlds; it's always disparaging and one-upsmanship. The Mac became the computer "for the rest of us" because we all accept each other as "the rest of us". Mac people don't belittle people for asking naive questions, because no question is naive to the one asking it, and we know we've been in that boat ourselves. Welcome.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
MAC><PC networking

I really need to throw a question out to those who responded to this link, yes it is related. I use PC-MACLAN at work on an ethernet hub with 2-G3's, 3-PCs (2 0n 2K and one on NT), and a clone MAC. All see each other just fine and having set the sharing preferences on all there is no problem with each machine going back and forth. My Question is this; I use a G4 using OS 10.2.8 at home and have in the past copied files on to either a ZIP or CD so I can do "Homework", but I get the feeling there is an easier way by connecting directly to my MAC server at work. I use RoadRunner at home and our workplace uses DSL. The server in question is a standard G3 on OS 9.2.2.
Question: Can I get there from Here?

If you think I should I will start a separate thread.
Thanks, Sparky

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.