Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sweetwater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
I don't use cover flow often. But some of my music (I have roughly 5000 songs on my 32 GB touch) is randomly missing artwork. So, I decided to scroll through and see with cover flow what was missing.

After about 10-15 seconds of scrolling, it crashes and takes me to the home screen. The first time I had music playing. That stopped too.

I did some searches and found that this was an issue with older versions of the software. Was it never resolved or is this a bug in the update?

Also, are there any suggestions on how to fix this problem (other than restoring)?

Thank you! :apple:

sweetwater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
Hrrrm. I just launched an app that was working fine a few hours ago right after the cover flow crashes and that crashed too...eeek.

-Dark Angel-

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
Nah, all my artwork is intact, though I don't have as much as you. I only have 1200 songs. You might want to try and resync the music that is missing the artwork. Don't do it in big batches because when I did that, thats when I get some missing artwork, I find if I do about 10-15 at a time it goes fine.
You might also want to power off your iPod and hopefully that will fix that other app problem.

sweetwater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
Nah, all my artwork is intact, though I don't have as much as you. I only have 1200 songs. You might want to try and resync the music that is missing the artwork. Don't do it in big batches because when I did that, thats when I get some missing artwork, I find if I do about 10-15 at a time it goes fine.
You might also want to power off your iPod and hopefully that will fix that other app problem.

Thanks! I'm going to do that. :cool: If I can ever get through everything! :)
I restarted it and it let me use cover flow for about 3 minutes before crashing. You think it's just the sheer volume of information that makes it overload and crash? I mean, I know the touches were built for libraries probably smaller than mine so I can understand if it's too much for the poor guy to handle. :D

sweetwater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
After a labor of love, I have resolved the artwork issue though cover flow continues to crash. :rolleyes:

-Dark Angel-

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
After a labor of love, I have resolved the artwork issue though cover flow continues to crash. :rolleyes:

Wow I guess it just might be too much info for coverflow to process. Be interesting to know if other people with huge libraries have similar problems.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
Wow I guess it just might be too much info for coverflow to process. Be interesting to know if other people with huge libraries have similar problems.

My 1G (32 gig) has had >3600 songs and 271 albums on it since spring and while it never has crashed it has bogged down at times. Just toyed with it now and it seems fine. I too figure it is a "to much to process" issue, which kind of sucks. I mean, the thing should be designed for "worst case" scenario (that being, all 32gig in songs and albums).

I still haven't begun to put all the albums on my new 2G and have been curious if I'd still get that occasional lag on coverflow.

Mike

Railrider

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
My previous iPod touch (1st gen 16GB) and current one (2nd gen 32GB) both have always exhibited the crashing CoverFlow problem. If I start at the beginning of my music and try to flip through all the covers, it will crash back to the home screen everytime. I haven't tried it with 2.2 but I'm guessing that it's not fixed. I don't consider it a big issue for me as I hardly ever use CoverFlow to find my music, but it would be nice if it didn't crash.

bigab2

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008

I have roughly 2500 songs (so about half of the OP). I decided to try the test since I hardly ever use coverflow and low and behold after about 20 seconds it crashed and returned me to the home screen. I didn't have music playing I just started scrolling from the beginning of my list. :(

2nd Gen 32GB Touch

EDIT: Just had to do a reset on my touch because I decided to play my music in coverflow view and it will only play the first 5 seconds of any song then crashes. We'll see if the hard reset helps.

-Dark Angel-

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
Interesting, well it seems the iPod coverflow can only handle so much information. Mine doesn't crash with ,I guess compared to you all, measly music library hehe. Thats horrible to hear it crashed in the first 5 seconds when playing song in coverflow. I tried that as well and it doesn't do that. I do like using coverflow, mostly just to look at my iPod and then my aging computer and just admire how fast coverflow moves compared to my computer.

biikman

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
I don't use cover flow often. But some of my music (I have roughly 5000 songs on my 32 GB touch) is randomly missing artwork. So, I decided to scroll through and see with cover flow what was missing.

After about 10-15 seconds of scrolling, it crashes and takes me to the home screen. The first time I had music playing. That stopped too.

I did some searches and found that this was an issue with older versions of the software. Was it never resolved or is this a bug in the update?

Also, are there any suggestions on how to fix this problem (other than restoring)?

Thank you! :apple:

I've got 233 albums 3,000 or so songs, with some missing covers (I KNOW they were there the other day grr). I scrolled through them back and forth, slowly and then quickly with and without music playing, and wasn't able to duplicate your issue. I would try whats already mentioned, removing and resyncing the album covers, or even all the music. Good luck!

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
No crashing here. My 3G is filled to all 14.4GB with Music or Music Video and NO CRASH on 2.2.

Sorry bud :/ Perhaps it's just one corrupted file?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.