Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:50 AM   #1
maccuser
macrumors member

which is more secure: Safari or Firefox?

I'm new to mac, recently bought the new aluminum macbook and was wondering if it is more secure to use firefox vs safari. I noticed that scrolling is way more smooth in safari than in firefox and the fact I have more of the page since safari has thinner borders and also the loading thing is right in the address bar. More to it, with the new trackpad i can use the multitouch capabilities that is only built in safari but not firefox.

Could you guys let me know which one is better to use?

Also, I installed Sophos antivirus (which is free for UCLA students) on my mac, is that of any help? or does it catch windows viruses only?
maccuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:58 AM   #2
J the Ninja
macrumors 68000

Assuming you are up to date about both, you are fine. Use Firefox and strap on NoScript and FlashBlock if you are paranoid.

Download MultiClutch (Google it) to get 3 finger swipe, zoom, and other gestures into Firefox (It's a preference pane that lets you bind gestures to key combinations for either the whole system, or an individual Cocoa app.

You don't need Mac AntiVirus, there are no Mac viruses. There are a very small number of programs that could be called Mac malware, every single one requires at the very least that you manually launch them. Many even require you to type your password or assign them a firewall port before they can do damage. Just stay smart and don't get social-engineered, and you'll be fine.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 01:17 AM   #3
gracemac
Banned

both OK, safari is more safe IMO, but i used to firefox, it doesnot matter if you take care when browse
gracemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 01:24 AM   #4
MasterNile
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracemac View Post
both OK, safari is more safe IMO, but i used to firefox, it doesnot matter if you take care when browse
Why is safari more safe?
MasterNile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:07 AM   #5
mathcolo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracemac View Post
I think it is just the reverse. Firefox is updated MUCH more than Safari is... Even though WebKit is a community project, Safari isn't. There isn't much outside feedback for Safari. Whereas Firefox is a totally community-based project which allows it faster improvement in the realms of safety, usability and security.

OP: Not to change your mind again, but if you don't make a decision it will drive your own mind crazy. I would just pick one out of a hat and use it.
[Retired]- Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE
mathcolo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:31 AM   #6
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Use Safari, Firefox is way too 'jumpy' with uneven scrolling. Safari is safe as long as you don't go poking around the remote corners of the internet. Firefox is like an armored truck. Both has about the same level of security. I'd lean towards Safari, you have less stuff to add (like Multi Clutch for gestures and various add ons) before you use it. Both Firefox and Safari use the phishing database made by Google. Pick something simpler and smoother, ie Safari.

Before other ppl start attacking Safari, I use both. I just happen to like Safari better.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:38 AM   #7
MatLane
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to MatLane Send a message via Yahoo to MatLane Send a message via Skype™ to MatLane
For some unknown reason

I feel safer when using Safari
Old Nov 24, 2008, 01:14 PM   #8
Diaresi

Out-Of-The-Box, they're now both pretty equal since Apple added phishing blocking to Safari. Extensions though make Firefox far, far more secure if you want to go down a potentially overzealous route.

To be truely paranoid about things, never use the default browser for Windows or Mac OS X since exploits for those platforms will be geared to what's there for everyone not what only some people will have.

Also, Apple generally have slow response times for patching vunerabilities...
Diaresi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:00 PM   #9
MacsBestFriend
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to MacsBestFriend
iSay FireFox- I use Safari when I need more speed though...
MacsBestFriend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:34 PM   #10
chris001
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsBestFriend View Post
iSay FireFox- I use Safari when I need more speed though...
really. i use FireFox for the exact opposite reason.
i thought firefox was faster then safari?

OP: it doesn't really matter.but i'm pretty sure you gathered that from all the above posts. i like the way firefox looks over safari..
chris001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 04:23 PM   #11
clevin
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaresi View Post
since Apple added phishing blocking to Safari.
im off mac for a while, is this true?

Generally, safari isn't that standing out in terms of security (better than IE of course, but this is a mac environment, so ie isn't in the discussion), Firefox is better on this.
clevin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 07:59 PM   #12
ltldrummerboy
macrumors 68000

Hey clevin, good to see you. The recent Safari 3.2 (and even more recently 3.2.1) update added a phishing filter.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store