Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Nov 24, 2008, 03:07 AM   #1
jackz5o
macrumors newbie

iPhone Not Charging on my Computer?

Just today, when I plugged my iPhone in to charge/sync, the Windows USB sound came up but my phone would not charge. iTunes did not recognize the phone either. Anybody know whats wrong with it?

I have restarted both my computer and phone.. wall charging works fine.

Thanks
jackz5o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:13 AM   #2
jimleszczynski
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to jimleszczynski Send a message via Skype™ to jimleszczynski
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackz5o View Post
Just today, when I plugged my iPhone in to charge/sync, the Windows USB sound came up but my phone would not charge. iTunes did not recognize the phone either. Anybody know whats wrong with it?

Thanks
Have you charged or synced your device with this computer before?
jimleszczynski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Ninja Guidan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackz5o View Post

Thanks
Try a different USB port on the PC. Samething happens with my wife's iPhone. One USB port won't charge or won't be recognized in iTunes, the other will.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Dr. Cabrera
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Cabrera
some usb ports are powered, others run off a hub ( or internal hub) and are not powered

can you give us more details ?
Dr. Cabrera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:03 AM   #5
jackz5o
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimleszczynski View Post
Have you charged or synced your device with this computer before?
Yes this is the primary computer that I have been using to charge and sync everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Guidan View Post
Try a different USB port on the PC. Samething happens with my wife's iPhone. One USB port won't charge or won't be recognized in iTunes, the other will.
The port I initially tried on was used for the past 3 month. I did try on other ports as well and it still didn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cabrera View Post
some usb ports are powered, others run off a hub ( or internal hub) and are not powered

can you give us more details ?
All 10 of my USB ports are powered and I tried more than half of them. The same ports always worked before so I don't know why it doesn't now.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 02:59 AM   #6
KainAussie
macrumors newbie

ur better off chargeing it threw the power point
KainAussie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:25 PM   #7
jackz5o
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KainAussie View Post
ur better off chargeing it threw the power point
Yes but I would like to sync as well. And I was also going to jailbreak with the new 2.2 QuickPwn.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:41 PM   #8
abijnk
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to abijnk
Do you have another USB cable you can try? Even though it is still working through the wall charger, sometimes USB can be down right picky.
abijnk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:35 PM   #9
jackz5o
macrumors newbie

Wow, there was a piece of dust inside the USB end of the cable and it was blocking the full connection lol. I blew it out along with the USB ports on my computer and now everything is working fine..

I don't know how that same cable could still work from the AC charger with the dust in there though..

Thanks for the help everyone lol.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:40 PM   #10
IIIMPower
macrumors newbie

I've been searching around for a while for this same question online and can't find a good answer. My iPhone 4S is also not charging or syncing when connected via USB to my macbook pro. However, it will charge with a car or wall charger. It's definitely a problem with the phone because I can sync/charge my brother's iPhone 4 with the same usb cord and same computer. I checked for dust in the dock connector and there isn't any. I'm very confused why it would just randomly stop working?
IIIMPower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Klasniedryg
macrumors newbie

same issue iphone 4 charges from wall only

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIMPower View Post
I've been searching around for a while for this same question online and can't find a good answer. My iPhone 4S is also not charging or syncing when connected via USB to my macbook pro. However, it will charge with a car or wall charger. It's definitely a problem with the phone because I can sync/charge my brother's iPhone 4 with the same usb cord and same computer. I checked for dust in the dock connector and there isn't any. I'm very confused why it would just randomly stop working?
Did you ever fix the issue? I have the same thing with the iphone4. I will post a new thread about it.
Klasniedryg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:41 PM   #12
In Utopia
macrumors regular

iPhone along with a lot of other toys don't like aftermarket USB connectors as well as being prone not to make connection with the least little bit of dust in them.
I was having the same problem on a second computer (non Mac) until I bit the bullet and bought an Apple connecter, no more problems.
Got a powered USB octopus and 4 of the 8 are hit and miss when connected to a device.
In Utopia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:35 PM   #13
Klasniedryg
macrumors newbie

fixed!

got it fixed. it was the photo album+ app that caused the issue for me
link http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1#post15244211
Klasniedryg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting