Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:29 AM   #1
SPOOF
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to SPOOF Send a message via AIM to SPOOF Send a message via MSN to SPOOF Send a message via Yahoo to SPOOF Send a message via Skype™ to SPOOF
Creating a Web Store (not using a service) for practice

This is a question for those that do web development and deployment professionally, and most importantly, securely.

It has been a long time since I've done web development, and I'd like to wet my chops and bring myself mostly up to speed again. To do this, I'd like to use current solutions that are in common use. I'd like to make a mock web store on my domain as practice (using a subdomain).

So my questions are:
1) I imagine something on top of LAMP is likely, is that true as the most common?
2) Which software packages (bonus if they're open source of some kind) will I be looking at integrating these days for the inventory management, webstore, shopping cart, checkout (which of course won't be used beyond a test account with fake test items, since I don't sell anything), feedback, etc...and which of those should I be expecting to write up myself?
3) Is it still common for most clients to want to integrate with QuickBooks for inventory, contacts, orders, and billing? If so, please keep that in mind for #2.

Thanks in advance for helping me jump start the process of removing the rust from my skills (and likely adding new ones), which include (x)html, css, javascript, java, php, python, xml, sql, various non-scripting programming languages (c, etc), and doing government level IT Administration of just about any server or service (from several years ago).
SPOOF is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development