Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rioja

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Folks... Nimbuzz rocks!!! I just completed a 35 minute call on my iPhone through Nimbuzz using my Skype North America account. It was clear and solid, I'd say it was 98% as good as using the Skype app on my Macbook.

Nimbuzz is like Fring I guess, with chat (msn, yahoo, etc) and voip. But I find the connection to the Skype server far superior to Fring. I didn't try chat or anything... was just interested in the voice capabilities.

I didn't make the app or anything, just been searching for something that gave me clear voip through Skype. I hope it holds up! Plus it's free.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=297574648&mt=8

sgar

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
I am amazed that nobody has noticed this. It really is a great app, 100 times better than Fring. I tried voip (wlan) with some of my msn (as well as skype) contacts and the quality its just great!!

efp1

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
UK
Didn't even notice this! I'll give it a try right now :D

Thanks for the post!

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
You can't dial using Skype. You can only use it through contacts. I don't like it for that very reason.

efp1

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
UK
Yeah, I just noticed that. No way for skype out calls.

I've still got Fring though :)

rioja

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2008
I just imported my contacts from Address Book into Skype so I can call anyone of them through Nimbuzz.

Not ideal, but it works fine for now.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
it wont accept my skype login and password at all even after restarts and reinstalls. ****** software.

arrow201

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
so far, for chatting, I'm liking this better then fring
...seems zippier, emoticons, landscape mode

thanks for the heads up :)

speedracer3000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2008
I am just trying to create an account and it won't even go through
it's been spinning for a while now and nothing is happening

went to their web site to try to create an account and every user name I enter it says it's already used

not looking good far... :rolleyes:

speedracer3000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2008
registration finally comleted...

bad:
- the contact list for skype is ugly, for some reason it decided to show only the phone numbers and not the contact names, which can be difficult to pick out who you want to call from a long list of numbers
- the contact list only includes contacts from skype and not the others on iphone
- no dial pad

good:
-call quality on skype is noticibily better than fring. other than a minor echo there is no significant lag and other audio problems like in fring
- buddy status is also more reliable and updates faster than fring

For me, I am actually pretty happy about this app. Fring is more or less usless for me given the poor skype call quality. Considering I can actually make a call and carry on a normal conversation successfully without being completely frustrated, this is already miles better than fring. Hopefully they will soon update the app with better contacts list and an actual dial pad.

iSaga

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
I have my all my contacts in my skype contact list but only my skype contacts show up. Is there any way of getting all my contacts into the contact list? Otherwise this app is pretty useless.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I'm honestly Skype hasn't made their own app yet for the iPhone. This seems like a no brainer for them. I would have thought since it was announced by Steve that VOIP was OK through WiFi, they would have been one of the very first apps in the app store.

Narco220

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
Yes I hope skype do come up with a app because there is no real useable app to use through skype as fring and nimbuzz both suffer from lag and echo problems. The only voip app that u can make a decent quality call with is truphone.

Come on skype!!

kujovideo

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
Anyone having this problem? I can make skype to skype calls just fine on Fring and I like the setup in Nimbuzz a lot better but it keeps saying that it cannot locate local ip address when I call out. Anyone else getting this or know how to fix it? Thanx!

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
i just found this app yesterday and was just about to start this same thread, wondering why there hasn't been much buzz for nimbuzz yet.

I find it way better than fringe, yes it doesn't have all the functions (like dialing numbers), but the user interface is much more polished, you get a landscape mode for IMing and I found the voice quality to be much better than with fringe.

there are still a few bugs, but I think this probably just came out recently (hence not much talks about it?) so it should get better as time goes by. :)

Fabian

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Anybody have any idea why all of my Facebook contacts are showing up as numbers?? There's no way to tell who's who.

adds

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2008
I've been using Nimbuzz since it came out and the sound quality from US to UK on Skype is excellent--far, far superior to Fring. Also, their customer service is great: I emailed them about something and got a reply the following day. To the person who wondered why not all his Skype address contacts are showing up: If you imported all your address book contacts into Skype, the only ones that will be seen by Nimbuzz are the ones without the tiny brown symbol at the bottom right of the phone symbol beside each name. If you highlight the contact in Skype, then go to Contacts/Add a contact, it will show up in Nimbuzz next time (and the brown thing will disappear). I agree that the only two drawbacks so far are the lack of a keypad and the lack of names beside phone numbers in the contact list--let's hope they work on this for the next version. Meanwhile, iCall, which was submitted to Apple about 2 months ago, is still under review--my guess is that AT&T doesn't much like it. However, they recently posted information about their price structure, along with some screenshots, on their website.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
i tried to download it again after their latest update and it still wont accept my skype login and pass. it rejects it everytime but my login works fine in fring and skype of course.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Can someone please explain to me how to get my Skype Contacts into Nimbuzz?

First you have to create a Nimbuzz account when you run the app (first time)

Click Communities

Then Skype

Add your Skype info

And you should be set ;)

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
Nimbuzz for iPhone now comes with SkypeOut support, dialpad, avatars, and more cool features.

Why would I use Nimbuzz for Skypeout calls now that Skype has a dedicated iPhone app? Don't get me wrong, I thought Nimbuzz was very good (used it on my N95 very a long time) but without the ability to run in the background, if I'm going to make Skype calls, I might as well use the Skype app, which I find works very well.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I still use Nimbuzz a lot since it allows me to log into several communities at the same time. Otherwise I would have to have Yahoo!, AOL, something to run google and Skype apps on my iPhone. Way too many things for me. Nimbuzz does them all and does it quite well.

I would agree with you though if you only used Skype, use the Skype app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.