Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

questions

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Besides paying over $150 to get a new car stereo or an aux jack put into my existing one or getting a crappy fm transmitter thing, are there any other options for getting an Ipod to play in a car (if you don't have a cassette player...)

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
No, I don't think so. IMO, it's worth it to pony up $100-$200 for a head unit that has a real iPod dock. I love being able to control my iPod without having to dig it out of the glove box. You get better quality electronics as well, plus the ability to expand later if you want it. You'll probably also get a bit of a power upgrade over the factory amp. It's not hard to install, it will just take some time the first time you do it.

questions

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
I would if I could. Apparently someone who didn't know what they were talking about quoted me $25-30 to install an aux jack on my stereo, so I bought a new iPod thinking I could play it in the car. When I called back they told me it would be $150. There is no way I can swing that. Maybe I'll just have to listen to my Ipod with headphone in the car.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I would if I could. Apparently someone who didn't know what they were talking about quoted me $25-30 to install an aux jack on my stereo, so I bought a new iPod thinking I could play it in the car. When I called back they told me it would be $150. There is no way I can swing that. Maybe I'll just have to listen to my Ipod with headphone in the car.

Using headphones while in a car is illegal in the U.S. Just save some money and get a new stereo with an AUX input. I did that when I first got my car. I got a Sony CD player that had an AUX input. When I saved even more money, I bought a Pioneer DVD deck that has a built in iPod controller. I plug the iPod in and put it in the glove box. The stereo controls the iPod from the touch screen and the screen shows everything that the iPod shows.

questions

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
I won't be able to save any money for a very long time. Ironically the Ipod is actually a gift to cheer me up from financial troubles. I was hoping if I investigated enough I would find something. I guess I could just settle for an iTrip or something for now, have they improved at all?

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I won't be able to save any money for a very long time. Ironically the Ipod is actually a gift to cheer me up from financial troubles. I was hoping if I investigated enough I would find something. I guess I could just settle for an iTrip or something for now, have they improved at all?

Well they are not all that great. If you live in a city like I do where there isn't a spot on the dial that doesn't have a station, they won't work good at all.

I had some good luck with this one:

STD1_F8Z176.jpg

Even if there was a station broadcasting, it has enough power to broadcast over it but there still will be some static. It cost about $90. You mght be able to find it cheaper like on eBay. It's made by Belkin.

There are cheaper ones too but I never tried those.

mexicali

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2008
I think there are new FM transmitters that are really cheap and can work with all kinds of MP3 players.

keilly

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
I bought the Scosche thing too. Sounds pretty good: much much better than am FM transmitter but not quite as good as standard FM. For $29 its certainly worth the money.

I installed in my Honda Civic as well, this saved a $100+ install and was pretty easy: There's plenty of instructions out there on how to partially disassemble car dashboards to get at the radios - I didn't even have to take mine out. You have to simply switch two cables around and connect the unit to the dash power supply (e.g. attach it to the cigarette lighter socket).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.