Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IroquoisPliskin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
I installed a new 250GB WD ATA hard drive in my 450mhz Sawtooth G4. The computer sees the drive, it works in target disk mode but nothing will install.

When I try to install Tiger from the DVD or the 4xCD set it gives an error after a minute of installing and says to restart. The Tiger disks crash my G5 as soon as I try to boot them. When I try to install Leopard via target disk mode from my G5 it says it cannot be installed on this computer.

This isn't one of the computers that has to have the OS installed in the first 8gb of the drive partition is it? I don't want to install 10.3, too much of my software isn't compatible with it. It was running 10.4 fine on the old 30gb drive.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I installed a new 250GB WD ATA hard drive in my 450mhz Sawtooth G4. The computer sees the drive, it works in target disk mode but nothing will install.

When I try to install Tiger from the DVD or the 4xCD set it gives an error after a minute of installing and says to restart. The Tiger disks crash my G5 as soon as I try to boot them. When I try to install Leopard via target disk mode from my G5 it says it cannot be installed on this computer.

This isn't one of the computers that has to have the OS installed in the first 8gb of the drive partition is it? I don't want to install 10.3, too much of my software isn't compatible with it. It was running 10.4 fine on the old 30gb drive.

The Sawtooth won't see all that 250gb hard drive anways in one partition. Why not use SuperDuper! to clone your 30gb to your 250gb? Create 2 partitions on it so you can use all of it. Boot from your 30gb and Clone it to the 250gb one. That way you won't have to reinstall anything and you'll have all your original settings and files handy.

IroquoisPliskin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Ah, I forgot about the 128gb limit. So if I partition it 50/50 it should see everything?

The 30GB drive crashed, its useless. It won't even spin up for more than a few seconds.

IroquoisPliskin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Western Digital is a pile of JUNK!

Format, 232gb in my G5. Fine. Can't work in the G4.
Reformat 116gbx2 in the G5 again. Transfer files over, it unmounts itself halfway though.
Restart. Shows up as 733gb and not able to mount and fails format.
Restart. Formats 2x116gb. Second partition unmounts and fails disk first aid.
Restart. Drive is unresponsive.

That is the LAST WD PILE OF JUNK I'LL EVER BUY. I'm going to get a Seagate or Maxtor.

IroquoisPliskin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Yep. That junk is gone. I found an old 8gb Maxtor laying around and Tiger is installing right now.

I bought a SATA PCI card and I'll use the old 250GB drive leftover from my G5's 750GB drive upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.