Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linkycat

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
The purpose of this thread is to compare different microphone options on the iPod Touch via similar recorded sound files.

The user 'touchmymonkey' submitted the first recordings, and 'fasequeira' helped out with the Griffin SmartTalk files, which can be found below.

To do this 'right', anyone who has ANY microphone for their iPod Touch, lets try to compile some similar data.

Record yourself talking at normal volume for appx 20 seconds where the speaker would be if it were on a headset (appx at your collar), as well as 10 feet away (still appx 20 seconds and speaking at normal volume).

Use the free app Griffin iTalk on the BEST setting so all tests are consistent:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=293673304&mt=8

To transfer files from your ipod, use italksync
http://italksync.com/

PM me, and I'll host the file if you can't, you'll just have to email it to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please download files only once, and please choose save-as. I'd like as many people to be able to listen to these as possible before i run out of bandwidth!

Recording tests (alphabetical by product):

Altec Lansing UHS307 Earclip-S In-Ear Headphones (apple store link)

Collar Test (http://dc19.4shared.com/download/73232673/1873396e/Alteclansingcollar.aiff)
10 Ft Test (http://dc19.4shared.com/download/73232576/6a5f73b8/Alteclansing10ft.aiff)

Griffin SmartTalk (griffin technology site)

Collar Test (http://dc35.4shared.com/download/73244687/fcd6274/Smarttalkcol.aiff)
10 Ft Test (http://dc35.4shared.com/download/73244618/4eb0c4ac/Smarttalk10.aiff)

Philips iPhone Microphone Adapter (target store link)

Collar Test (http://dc19.4shared.com/download/73232785/774aeaa3/Phillipscollar.aiff)
10 Ft Test (http://dc19.4shared.com/download/73232734/e3b903fe/Phillips10ft.aiff)

linkycat

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Tests are underway for an Altec Lansing adapter, as well as the Phillips microphone adapter on sale at Target.

Anyone willing to record using the Griffin or Monster adapters? Or any other microphones?!?

Thanks!

nathandublya

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Im looking forward to the results of this too as Id love to be able to record on my iPod touch 2g. Would come in very handy.

Cheers,

Nathan

linkycat

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
First tests are posted - can someone please get in touch with me regarding the Griffin SmartTalk and the Monster iSoniTalk or any other popular microphones?

Thanks!

fasequeira

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
Smarttalk

Smarttalk files sent:)

The smarttalk seems to have a decent recording quality and it is cheap ($10~20 including shipping off ebay) Also, as mentioned in the philips adapter, it is not combined with a headset, so you can plug in whatever earphones suit your taste.

linkycat

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Thanks - the thread is updated!

What do you think? I think the Altec Lansing is the clear loser for sound quality, and the Griffin SmartTalk and Phillips products are relatively similar (as far as this recording process goes).

Noticeably different in the SmartTalk vs Phillips is the 'white noise' recorded by the Phillips is of higher frequency. General volume levels seem to be pretty similar to me, but I have to wonder if the Phillips doesn't record a more 'full-bodied' sound.

Thoughts?

FunkyMonkey

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Right behind you
Thanks - the thread is updated!

What do you think? I think the Altec Lansing is the clear loser for sound quality, and the Griffin SmartTalk and Phillips products are relatively similar (as far as this recording process goes).

Noticeably different in the SmartTalk vs Phillips is the 'white noise' recorded by the Phillips is of higher frequency. General volume levels seem to be pretty similar to me, but I have to wonder if the Phillips doesn't record a more 'full-bodied' sound.

Thoughts?

I totally agree. All of them are very acceptable for casual use I think.

-Dark Angel-

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
Nice test and yes, Phillips and Griffin does sound bout the same though in the 10ft, it seems Griffin does sound a little better. As for deleting files off of iTalk, its little easy. Hit edit and it will bring up the red minus symbol, just hit that and it will delete. It will then move to deleted recordings and just hit the clear all button at the bottom to remove it :). Great tests overall.

linkycat

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Thanks for the input - we had figured out how to delete files.... but didn't want to create a new recording! SO, you are all left with some comic relief :)

Anyone else out there have another microphone they are willing to try?

acedew

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
I'm also interested if any of these adapters negatively affect your listening experience. I'm not an audiophile by any means, I just use the standard Apple Earbuds, but if the adapter introduced any background or white noise, it might be kind of annoying.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
I just got the Philips mic. It's good, but it isn't all that sensitive. Definitely an improvement over the last mic I tried though, which didn't work at all.

linkycat

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
I just got the Philips mic. It's good, but it isn't all that sensitive. Definitely an improvement over the last mic I tried though, which didn't work at all.

What was your last mic? Did it really not work at all, or was it working just crappy? Make sure to let us know so we can help others from making the same mistake :)

If it did work, and you still have it, why not do some recordings we can add to this thread!

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
What was your last mic? Did it really not work at all, or was it working just crappy? Make sure to let us know so we can help others from making the same mistake :)

If it did work, and you still have it, why not do some recordings we can add to this thread!

My last mic was this one. My headphones worked when I plugged them in, but my iPod never recognized a mic. I ended up sending it back.

ardee

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2008
Picked up the Philips over the weekend (most Target stores were sold out but found one that wasn't). Can't beat $10 for a headphone adapter, decent mic with lapel clip, and remote-control button from a brand name.

Two big questions:

1. Besides iTalk, what touch apps support a mic?

2. What iPhone apps WOULD work on the touch if the authors made small changes? Two I know of are Shazam and Ocarina.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
Picked up the Philips over the weekend (most Target stores were sold out but found one that wasn't). Can't beat $10 for a headphone adapter, decent mic with lapel clip, and remote-control button from a brand name.

Two big questions:

2. What iPhone apps WOULD work on the touch if the authors made small changes? Two I know of are Shazam and Ocarina.

The biggest app supporting mics is probably fring, followed by that google app. I don't know why the people who make the ocarina app would limit themselves to touch customers.

ardee

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2008
Muncher, thank you. I did not remember that the Google app supported voice.

And good point about Ocarina ... I should have said that I hope they make it work on other models and, if that model is a touch 2G, I hope they support a mic.

Do we expect a lot more mic-enabled apps in the coming months?

fasequeira

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008

Two big questions:

If you get 5 minutes, why not post or send linkycat a collar and 10ft recording. Then we can compare it with the other Philips recording and see how the recordings may differ depending on voice volume and pitch. The more samples we can get, the more accurate the evaluation will be. ;)

linkycat

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Seriously! Send them over, I'll host it up :) Anyone who has a mic... just follow the basic perameters in the original post and send me a PM!

MySaturdaySelf

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks to recent oil price i could afford to drive 5 mile for the philips microphone in the target store.. it works fine with fring.. but i don't know why i need to make sure it's playing music before i call. If not, I will only hear my own voice rather than people on the phone line. If I am playing music, then the music will be paused and I could talk in quite good quality.. try at home and work, sound quality is good.

However, the philips microphone + set from apple makes it very long, and the white and black mixing with each other.. I may still pick the apple one if it come into stock before Christmas.. :)

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
Thanks to recent oil price i could afford to drive 5 mile for the philips microphone in the target store.. it works fine with fring.. but i don't know why i need to make sure it's playing music before i call. If not, I will only hear my own voice rather than people on the phone line. If I am playing music, then the music will be paused and I could talk in quite good quality.. try at home and work, sound quality is good.

However, the philips microphone + set from apple makes it very long, and the white and black mixing with each other.. I may still pick the apple one if it come into stock before Christmas.. :)

The button on the Philips is the NO mic button. It cuts off the mic. Also, the iPod uses that signal to play/pause music. I've used the Philips as a way to play and pause before. Combined with the volume buttons, it means one less reason to turn your screen on.

MySaturdaySelf

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
It would be nice if the philips one includes remote control for music though.. that would settle everything for me :D

fasequeira

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
It would be nice if the philips one includes remote control for music though.. that would settle everything for me :D

Does it not function as a basic remote?

Pressing the button once should play/pause music.

Two quick presses should skip to the next song.

Most mics have that function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.