Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

160900-24-inch-led-screen-1-2_425.jpg

Image from Arstechnica
Arstechnica provides some first impressions on their newly delivered 24" LED Apple Cinema display. While Apple introduced the new display back in October, actual delivery of the new monitors have only just begun. Ars reminds readers that the displays are only meant for use with the new notebooks which house a mini DisplayPort. Apple has said they will start shipping the mini-DisplayPort on all future products.

The display contains an iSight camera, built-in speakers, and a USB hub. This configuration allows the Monitor to act as a very simple dock for your laptop, as it will enable/disable functionality appropriately:
The real nicety of the display is that Mac OS X knows when you have attached the display to use its integrated devices. That is, when you've hooked it all up, it will use the iSight in the display instead of the notebook's, and it will use the USB audio on the display and disable the output on the notebook. That is, until you plug a set of headphones into the port on the notebook, at which time the display's speakers will disable and route the audio directly to your ears automatically.

Article Link: First 24" LED Cinema Displays Arrive

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
The Apple Stores have had display models for a while now, about time they finally make it to customers' hands.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
Just to clear something up for me, this display is currently compatible with only two computer models in the entire world?

edit: Just read page 14. I meant three computers. Forgot about the MacBook Air.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Oh, they're nice.... All i need now is to win the lottery so i can get one of the new macbook pros and this baby and i'm all set to go...! Or i could just hit the credit card! mmmm, there's a thought ;)

jongriff

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
Lawford, UK
There's no headphone jack on the screen as far as I can tell. This seems like a silly omission considering the audio functionality of this screen as part of it's pseudo-docking role. It would be nice to leave a nice set of speakers attached to the screen for when you come back to your desk.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
So is Apple going to release some sort of a mini displayport to DVI adapter so that people with older/other computers can use this thing? Seems a very tiny thing to do to open up a lot of potential customers.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Just to clear something up for me, this display is currently compatible with only two computer models in the entire world?

LOL!

Although if you're in the market to update your mac pro when they get mini display ports you could use it with that too...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I must admit, though I think the LED cinema display is a great idea, and environmentally friendly to boot, I have to wonder why the 23" Cinema was discontinued. It seems odd to me to remove that product when demand exists for that size screen and its replacement won't work with any of the desktop Macs as of now.

That said, I'm glad I purchased my 23" Cinema when I did - I love the thing, and it looks great next to my iMac. :D

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
There's no headphone jack on the screen as far as I can tell. This seems like a silly omission considering the audio functionality of this screen as part of it's pseudo-docking role. It would be nice to leave a nice set of speakers attached to the screen for when you come back to your desk.

Well, don't need it. Just plug headphones into laptop like article says. Much more convenient in my opinion since that is much more moveable.

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal

ya seriously, that's a huge mistake. It would have been so simple to include, there's gotta be plenty of space on this thing. You could work around it i suppose by running the audio wire to the jack in your lap top, but that kinda defeats the purpose of having this "docking" functionality.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
I want it, I want it, I want it.

Did I mention I want it?

I just don't want to spend $900.

Any word yet on the panel? I'm almost positive that it's an IPS, but conformation would be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.