Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xcrskim

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2007
How do I use Cydia to install different themes and what not ?
this is so damn confusing...

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
There are countless threads here about which apps are best... these will get you started:

OpenSSH (You will need this later, but it'll mean nothing to you at the moment)
WinterBoard (Theme manager)
Cycorder (Video recorder!)
MobileTerminal (You probably won't ever use this, but it's a good fail-safe in case something happens to Cydia)

Once you have WinterBoard installed, go back into Cydia and check the Theme sections. There are a gazillion of them. That will keep you busy for a long while.

Ryanhdd

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Virginia Beach, Virginia
i had the same questions, but figured it out and well i am glad i took the plunge. One question... I set my work email so i could get my work email on my phone.(duh) and since then it puts that stupid passcode lock on. An IT guy at work told me to jailbrake and there is a way around it. Anyone.

update: Found it, called 'killexchange"

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
what are the benefits of jailbreaking the phones...

Gives you access to the root dir

Can install themes/ ringtones / etc

Install 3rd party apps

Install free apps

it's just awesome, I was actually getting bored of my iphone 3g after 3 days, because there wasn't a whole lot I could do with it or customize it so I jailbroke it and now I have tons of options available to me.

Just search on the forums, and see what people are doing with it :)

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
i've had my 3G jailbroken for a few weeks now (just upgraded to 2.2) and it is really interesting.

I am not much of a computer nerd or geek or anything, but I find it very interesting to SSH. You can do a LOT with SSH, get emulators, customize themes (more then you can do with just a regular theme - see below, i combined 2 themes). One of the coolest things is changing the actual background without having to change the lockscreen image (it takes a little more time, but worth it i think) :cool:

video recorder,
MMS,
ROM's,
winterboard,
cracked apps (the ones you find in the AppStore)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 12,705
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.