Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 26, 2008, 07:42 PM   #1
AlexMaximus
macrumors 6502

External Blue Ray Drive on G4 MDD ????

Hi,

I have a real nice maxed out G4 MDD 1,42 Dual and I just love to watch DVD's on my 23' screen sometimes.

Since I found this really nice baby here (an external Blue Ray Drive)

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11054

.. I was wondering if I could watch and burn Blue Ray discs on my old rig her ?

Of course I have a USB 2.0 and a Firewire 400 to hook it up. I even would have a firewire 800 left.

Would it work, could I watch Blue Ray disks on my G4 the way I do it now with regular DVD's ??

I think it should and see now reason not to go for it ...

Any experience with that ???

Would be Firewire 400 or USB 2.0 better ??

AlexMaximus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 07:48 PM   #2
SmurfBoxMasta
macrumors 65816

Location: If you come into the forest really late at night, I might tell you...or nOt :)

nope, notta, zip.....

no BR support in OS X.......yet

ps.....that drive costs more than your machine is worth, surely you know this already. And no, the price of BR stuff is NOT coming down anytime soon, since it has still not been widely accepted & sought after by the masses yet......very, very slow adoption rate so far

example: http://www.crn.com/retail/212200706

Last edited by SmurfBoxMasta; Nov 27, 2008 at 06:48 AM.
SmurfBoxMasta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 08:29 PM   #3
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

It's rumored that Snow Leopard 10.5.6 will have Blu-Ray support. Nothing currently though. You especially won't be able to play any commercial discs as they have HDCP and no Cinema Display has that. People have been installing BR drives into their Mac Pros and I heard of software to play HD movies. Besides I don't think the dual 1.42 is enough to play/handle 1080p? Does anyone know for sure? Because it requires a lot of processing power.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 08:37 PM   #4
Bruce Patterson
macrumors member

But I could buy one of these things and use Adobe Encore CS4 to author BR discs, no? I'm using a Dual 2x3 Ghz Intel Core Dueo Mac Pro....
Bruce Patterson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Tallest Skil
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Patterson View Post
But I could buy one of these things and use Adobe Encore CS4 to author BR discs, no? I'm using a Dual 2x3 Ghz Intel Core Dueo Mac Pro....
They're Xeons, not Core 2s.

But if Encore has BD authoring without HDCP, it should work. Final Cut Studio can make HD DVDs and Blu-ray disks without HDCP.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 06:46 AM   #6
IroquoisPliskin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
It's rumored that Snow Leopard 10.6 will have Blu-Ray support
Snow leopard won't be running on PPC models let alone a G4. Besides, even a maxed out 2x1.8ghz G4 doesn't have enough CPU power or system bus bandwidth to play Full HD (1080p) video.
IroquoisPliskin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:03 AM   #7
Neurorad
macrumors newbie

External Blu Ray

I have a Buffalo external Blu Ray Recorder that works great for data. It was very inexpensive ($249 on sale a few weeks ago) and bought at Circuit City.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Searc...&go.x=0&go.y=0

It is a 6X Blu Ray recorder. It uses USB 2.0 - which works without a problem even through a USB hub.

As others have noted, I cannot play Blu Ray movies on my Mac for both a lack of native Mac software and a lack of HDCP, without resorting to ripping the disk in Windows.

The price is a fraction of all the others, yet uses the same Hitachi drive as many other more expensive units.
Neurorad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 02:18 PM   #8
AlexMaximus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I have a Buffalo external Blu Ray Recorder that works great for data. It was very inexpensive ($249 on sale a few weeks ago) and bought at Circuit City.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Searc...&go.x=0&go.y=0

It is a 6X Blu Ray recorder. It uses USB 2.0 - which works without a problem even through a USB hub.

As others have noted, I cannot play Blu Ray movies on my Mac for both a lack of native Mac software and a lack of HDCP, without resorting to ripping the disk in Windows.

The price is a fraction of all the others, yet uses the same Hitachi drive as many other more expensive units.

Thanks man, thats a real good information. I think I will check out my local CC store.
Since I can not watch the BR movies on my mac I will connect it on the Flat Screen via HDMI connection, that should work....

Thanks!
AlexMaximus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 02:21 PM   #9
Tallest Skil
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMaximus View Post
Since I can not watch the BR movies on my mac I will connect it on the Flat Screen via HDMI connection, that should work....
Uh, no it won't.

There's no such thing as USB to HDMI, FireWire to HDMI, or even SATA to HDMI. It's a computer drive.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 03:03 PM   #10
Neurorad
macrumors newbie

Only USB, no HMDI output from drive on Buffalo.

The Buffalo Drive is a computer drive, with the only interface being USB. There is no HDMI from the case - like all computer-based Blu Ray drives. It is not a stand-alone player. It can do everything any other computer-based Blu Ray drive can, provided it has the appropriate hardware support (HDCP, etc.).
Neurorad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 09:07 PM   #11
Semiopaque
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
It's rumored that Snow Leopard 10.5.6 will have Blu-Ray support. Nothing currently though. You especially won't be able to play any commercial discs as they have HDCP and no Cinema Display has that. People have been installing BR drives into their Mac Pros and I heard of software to play HD movies. Besides I don't think the dual 1.42 is enough to play/handle 1080p? Does anyone know for sure? Because it requires a lot of processing power.
I think it has more to do with the graphics processing power than the CPU, though I'm sure that helps. Not totally certain. I'll have an external BD drive ( well, an internal that I'm throwing in a USB enclosure) in a week or so that I can test on my G4 (no idea what software I will use to play it, though). Also have an Asus N10J on the way with an Atom 1.6 GHz that has HMDI out on it that I'm going to test it on. I'd be a bit surprised if a dual 1.4 couldn't play BD disks assuming it had the graphics ability (and software) to display, but I'm definitely no expert on this.
Semiopaque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 05:14 PM   #12
avloromano
macrumors newbie

Blue Ray OSX + Win 7

I'm looking to add on a blue ray drive external to Mac OS X 10.6.2 runnung Parallel Desktop Windows "007" as IWell in a like to call it. Will I be able to connect a regular blue ray drive to my mac pro, even though it specifies windows? I an running windows on the Mac, so I figure it will, not sure though! I'm running Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 12GB 1066 MHz DDR3

On top of that, if I was using an external blue ray on a PC lets say, and the BR drive is a USB 2.0 hookup (which they have out for some reason) is the 2.0 transfer eve enough to write BR video Data, let alone watch BR video? thanks - Avi
avloromano is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs