Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:21 PM   #1
joelw135
macrumors 6502

How do I type symbols in OSX

When using Windows XP I was able to type the copyright symbol by pressing the ALT key + 0169 and the degree symbol using ALT Key+ 0176. How do I do it in 0SX?
joelw135 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2
EricNau

Copyright symbol (): option + G

Degree symbol (): option + shift + 8
EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:29 PM   #3
joelw135
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNau View Post
Copyright symbol (): option + G

Degree symbol (): option + shift + 8
Thanks that was quick. Where do I find a list of these? I found Edit Special symbols but not the keys required.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:42 PM   #4
EricNau

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelw135 View Post
Thanks that was quick. Where do I find a list of these? I found Edit Special symbols but not the keys required.
Keep in mind, you can access symbols by selecting "Special Characters" under Finder's Edit menu. This method can be tedious, but very effective.

As for shortcuts, a quick Google will usually answer your question... That's where I found the two combinations I mentioned above.
EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:43 PM   #5
joelw135
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNau View Post
Keep in mind, you can access symbols by selecting "Special Characters" under Finder's Edit menu. This method can be tedious, but very effective.

As for shortcuts, a quick Google will usually answer your question... That's where I found the two combinations I mentioned above.
OK thanks I will try a Google search.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:52 PM   #6
ZiggyPastorius
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to ZiggyPastorius Send a message via MSN to ZiggyPastorius Send a message via Skype™ to ZiggyPastorius
Quote:
OK thanks I will try a Google search.
It's been trial and error for me. After I found out about simply pressing option or shift + option, then a key to do symbols...I was like "Whoo! So much better than how I had to do it on Windows." By now, I just know that Option G is copyright, Option 5 is infinity, each of the vowels does a different letter alteration, Option 0 is the degree key (Diminished symbol for me), option O is my half-diminished symbol, et cetera. I know most of them by now, and it's all just been trying them out. Whenever I don't know, I just hold option and drag my finger along each key, then delete the ones I don't need

Last edited by ZiggyPastorius; Nov 26, 2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Changed a parenthesis and added a quotation mark.
ZiggyPastorius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:01 PM   #7
joelw135
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyPastorius View Post
It's been trial and error for me. After I found out about simply pressing option or shift + option, then a key to do symbols...I was like "Whoo! So much better than how I had to do it on Windows." By now, I just know that Option G is copyright, Option 5 is infinity, each of the vowels does a different letter alteration, Option 0 is the degree key (Diminished symbol for me), option O is my half-diminished symbol, et cetera. I know most of them by now, and it's all just been trying them out. Whenever I don't know, I just hold option and drag my finger along each key, then delete the ones I don't need
I just installed the keyboard viewer and I can get the symbol and key combos. I also found a text page that I copied and printed. I guess the easy way is setup in preferences International and chose US and then the little flag is in the menu bar. I right click the flag and then chose keyboard viewer. Here is a list of keys and symbols.
http://www.malevolent.com/weblog/arc...uotes-accents/

and here is how to setup keyboard viewer.
1. Open System Preferences.
2. Select the International preference pane.
3. Click the Input Menu tab.
4. Select the checkbox for Character Palette.
5. Quit System Preferences.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 03:07 AM   #8
nickXedge
macrumors 6502

When I first got my Mac I found this site via a Google search:

http://www.silvermac.com/mac-os-x-keyboard-shortcuts/

I know you were looking for symbols, and although this website doesn't show any you seem to have that under control anyway, but I still find this valuable information.

Enjoy.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 06:22 AM   #9
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Try this widget out.

CharacterPal is a widget that helps you remember how to type any special character. Just put your mouse over a character, and the key combo appears at the bottom. Now you don't have to remember what Option + Shift + K does.

rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 06:27 AM   #10
Big-TDI-Guy
macrumors 68030

That widget is the cats @$$. Thanks downs!
Big-TDI-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 07:08 AM   #11
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
When using Windows XP I was able to type the copyright symbol by pressing the ALT key + 0169 and the degree symbol using ALT Key+ 0176. How do I do it in 0SX?
Go to Preferences, International, Input Menu, select "Keyboard Viewer" which shows you what characters are available on your keyboard, and "Character Palette", which comes handy for things like Thai or Cherokee letters, and "Show input menu in menu bar" which puts the keyboard and input menu into the menu bar.

You might also go to Preferences, Keyboard & Mouse, Keyboard Shortcuts, to have a look at lots of keyboard shortcuts.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 07:16 AM   #12
ergdegdeg
Moderator emeritus

There's also a widget to acces the keyboard viewer easily: OptionAlt. I like it a lot.
ergdegdeg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X