Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:21 PM   #1
joelw135
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
How do I type symbols in OSX

When using Windows XP I was able to type the copyright symbol by pressing the ALT key + 0169 and the degree symbol using ALT Key+ 0176. How do I do it in 0SX?
joelw135 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2
EricNau
Moderator
 
EricNau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Copyright symbol (): option + G

Degree symbol (): option + shift + 8
EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:29 PM   #3
joelw135
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNau View Post
Copyright symbol (): option + G

Degree symbol (): option + shift + 8
Thanks that was quick. Where do I find a list of these? I found Edit Special symbols but not the keys required.
joelw135 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:42 PM   #4
EricNau
Moderator
 
EricNau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelw135 View Post
Thanks that was quick. Where do I find a list of these? I found Edit Special symbols but not the keys required.
Keep in mind, you can access symbols by selecting "Special Characters" under Finder's Edit menu. This method can be tedious, but very effective.

As for shortcuts, a quick Google will usually answer your question... That's where I found the two combinations I mentioned above.
EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:43 PM   #5
joelw135
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNau View Post
Keep in mind, you can access symbols by selecting "Special Characters" under Finder's Edit menu. This method can be tedious, but very effective.

As for shortcuts, a quick Google will usually answer your question... That's where I found the two combinations I mentioned above.
OK thanks I will try a Google search.
joelw135 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:52 PM   #6
ZiggyPastorius
macrumors 68040
 
ZiggyPastorius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Berklee College of Music
Send a message via AIM to ZiggyPastorius Send a message via MSN to ZiggyPastorius Send a message via Skype™ to ZiggyPastorius
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelw135 View Post
OK thanks I will try a Google search.
It's been trial and error for me. After I found out about simply pressing option or shift + option, then a key to do symbols...I was like "Whoo! So much better than how I had to do it on Windows." By now, I just know that Option G is copyright, Option 5 is infinity, each of the vowels does a different letter alteration, Option 0 is the degree key (Diminished symbol for me), option O is my half-diminished symbol, et cetera. I know most of them by now, and it's all just been trying them out. Whenever I don't know, I just hold option and drag my finger along each key, then delete the ones I don't need
__________________
The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him, and fortune, on his damned quarrel, smiling, showed like a rebel's whore.

Last edited by ZiggyPastorius; Nov 26, 2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Changed a parenthesis and added a quotation mark.
ZiggyPastorius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:01 PM   #7
joelw135
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyPastorius View Post
It's been trial and error for me. After I found out about simply pressing option or shift + option, then a key to do symbols...I was like "Whoo! So much better than how I had to do it on Windows." By now, I just know that Option G is copyright, Option 5 is infinity, each of the vowels does a different letter alteration, Option 0 is the degree key (Diminished symbol for me), option O is my half-diminished symbol, et cetera. I know most of them by now, and it's all just been trying them out. Whenever I don't know, I just hold option and drag my finger along each key, then delete the ones I don't need
I just installed the keyboard viewer and I can get the symbol and key combos. I also found a text page that I copied and printed. I guess the easy way is setup in preferences International and chose US and then the little flag is in the menu bar. I right click the flag and then chose keyboard viewer. Here is a list of keys and symbols.
http://www.malevolent.com/weblog/arc...uotes-accents/

and here is how to setup keyboard viewer.
1. Open System Preferences.
2. Select the International preference pane.
3. Click the Input Menu tab.
4. Select the checkbox for Character Palette.
5. Quit System Preferences.
joelw135 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 03:07 AM   #8
nickXedge
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island
When I first got my Mac I found this site via a Google search:

http://www.silvermac.com/mac-os-x-keyboard-shortcuts/

I know you were looking for symbols, and although this website doesn't show any you seem to have that under control anyway, but I still find this valuable information.

Enjoy.
__________________
-Straight Edge-
nickXedge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 06:22 AM   #9
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Try this widget out.

CharacterPal is a widget that helps you remember how to type any special character. Just put your mouse over a character, and the key combo appears at the bottom. Now you don't have to remember what Option + Shift + K does.


rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 06:27 AM   #10
Big-TDI-Guy
macrumors 68030
 
Big-TDI-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
That widget is the cats @$$. Thanks downs!
Big-TDI-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 07:08 AM   #11
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelw135 View Post
When using Windows XP I was able to type the copyright symbol by pressing the ALT key + 0169 and the degree symbol using ALT Key+ 0176. How do I do it in 0SX?
Go to Preferences, International, Input Menu, select "Keyboard Viewer" which shows you what characters are available on your keyboard, and "Character Palette", which comes handy for things like Thai or Cherokee letters, and "Show input menu in menu bar" which puts the keyboard and input menu into the menu bar.

You might also go to Preferences, Keyboard & Mouse, Keyboard Shortcuts, to have a look at lots of keyboard shortcuts.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 07:16 AM   #12
ergdegdeg
Moderator emeritus
 
ergdegdeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nebraska
There's also a widget to acces the keyboard viewer easily: OptionAlt. I like it a lot.
ergdegdeg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I type apple keyboard symbols? MiniD3 OS X Mavericks (10.9) 2 Jan 20, 2014 10:26 PM
Importing symbols mikethebook OS X Mavericks (10.9) 0 Dec 17, 2013 05:40 AM
What are these symbols? MiniD3 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 4 Aug 28, 2013 12:37 AM
Korean symbols on the back panel of my iphone. Anyone have this type of iphone? Raufello iPhone 14 Aug 19, 2013 07:34 AM
What type of hardware do I need for editing specific type of video? (Details inside) Reminisce32 Buying Tips and Advice 4 Oct 23, 2012 03:13 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC