Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I was confused for a second. But the context being in the UK it helps a bit.

(you see Woolworths and Coles are the 2 major supermarket chains in Au. The latter has been taken over by WFI, so I thought it was a typo or something).

But the Woolworths in the UK and Australia are two totally separate business entities.

But 25000 jobs to be gone? I can smell a bailout.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I was confused for a second. But the context being in the UK it helps a bit.

(you see Woolworths and Coles are the 2 major supermarket chains. The latter has been taken over by WFI, so I thought it was a typo or something).

But the Woolworths in the UK and Australia are two totally separate business entities.

But 25000 jobs to be gone? I can smell a bailout.

Ooops sorry bout that title edited

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
i really can't understand how woolworth have remained in business all these years; they sell tat.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
It's a shame they're going, but shouldn't be a shock to anyone. They're both past their sell by date, the current crisis has just sped up the inevitable.

Awful for all their employees though, yet more people in for an extra crappy Christmas :(

Woolies although catering for everything, somehow catered for nothing.
MFI just didn't stand a hope against the might of Ikea.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Original poster
i must have had a misspent youth!

must have done it was a treat back in my day to have nan & grandad take you in woolly's for the pick & mix

i know i did!! :)

Knew i wasn't the only one :)

But like others have stated its the workers i feel sorry for as its just another nail in the coffin as britain goes down the crapper

The question is how many kids actually paid?

Not me if i weren't with anyone :)

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Woolworths have been going down the pan for years, the economy has little to do with it. They sell nothing worth buying, and everybody buys online now days. Its the Internet that has killed them, they have survived various recessions throughout the years. The recession could have pushed them off the edge, but they would have gone sooner or later. Feel sorry for the workforce, hope they find employment elsewhere and soon.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Same with MFI, we bought 2 things in the past couple of years and each time they have just not delivered and argued with them till we got refunds.... MFI should be gone now anyway!!! their products, prices and customer service don't hold a candle to IKEA and the other BIG highstreet names now doing furniture (Next, M&S, British Home Stores etc).

p.s. has anyone seen BHS recently? they opened a store in the homeware section of the trafford centre, amazing!!!!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
A friend of mine works(ed?) at Woolworths and he'll learn of his fate later today but it was only a part time job anyroad. He told me this was about to happen a few days back but his guess was that it would happen next week.

It is a bit of a shame for me. They had some really awesome deals on drinks, that's pretty much all I ever bought from there :D buy one get one free offers on Powerade? Yes please.

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Not really surprising, if you want dvds/music yoou go to hmv or the internet. If you want electrics stuff you go to a proper electrics store, woolworths is not even on the list of places to go to when shopping for something.

Stepper

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2008
North London, England
i know i did!! :)

+1

I used to goto Woolies every lunchtime when I was in school just to get some sweeties :cool:

Haven't been there for over 3 years though.....everything they sell is sold in a different shop that is either closer to where ever I am or it's cheaper in the different shop, no need for a Woolies no more I'm afriad :(

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I am really worried about this. I went into Woolies yesterday to get some pic n mix, knowing that it may be my last time. The people at the desk were so depressed. They knew.

The problem with a government buy out would be that it comes at a time where the governement really cannot afford it. If I had the money, I would buy woolies.... close half the stores... and restructure. Unfortunately, toooo big a risk for me!

I know it can be saved! It just needs to remarket itself.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
i really can't understand how woolworth have remained in business all these years; they sell tat.
People buy tat I suppose. Woolworths have quite a successful wholeside side that will probably be bought out and saved, but as a retail company I think they're finally done for. Nobody will miss them either, as Tesco et. al. have absorbed most of their market anyway. Sad, but that's life.

As for MFI I'm surprised they lasted a whole year of the housing market dying before folding. The last recession had them hopping in and out of administration so many times they made Leeds Utd. look well run. Of course that was before the Ikea invasion. I'll be very surprised if they can find the backers this time to hold the core business together until things pick up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.