Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
Okay I took my MBP in for a cracked trackpad and my bluetooth not working. The track pad was my fault, the BT was declared to be faulty and to be repaired for free under warranty.

So I get a call from Apple today. The guy says in the course of replacing the BT and track pad the logic board had fried. So they put in a new logic board but still had issues. He didn't specify what the other issues were.

So the deal the guy proposes is that I will get a completely new unit but should pay for the track pad part of the repair. After thinking about it, it sounds like the machine I got was pretty messed up and would have been completely replaced regardless of the track pad.

Given that the whole top lid had to be replaced and the logic board was replaced according to the Apple guy and it still didn't work do you guys think they are justified in charging me for the track pad? Seems that if the track pad wasn't like that I would get a new machine anyway.

Should I tell them to put the cracked track pad on to the new model and not pay? :)

I will pay it but do you guys think I should plead my case here or am I making something out of nothing? Should I just be happy they didn't blame all the other stuff on me breaking the track pad and keep my mouth shut?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Personally, I think you should be paying for the trackpad. You could try explaining that the machine would've had to be replaced anyway and see where it gets you.

econoline06

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Okay I took my MBP in for a cracked trackpad and my bluetooth not working. The track pad was my fault, the BT was declared to be faulty and to be repaired for free under warranty.

So I get a call from Apple today. The guy says in the course of replacing the BT and track pad the logic board had fried. So they put in a new logic board but still had issues. He didn't specify what the other issues were.

So the deal the guy proposes is that I will get a completely new unit but should pay for the track pad part of the repair. After thinking about it, it sounds like the machine I got was pretty messed up and would have been completely replaced regardless of the track pad.

Given that the whole top lid had to be replaced and the logic board was replaced according to the Apple guy and it still didn't work do you guys think they are justified in charging me for the track pad? Seems that if the track pad wasn't like that I would get a new machine anyway.

Should I tell them to put the cracked track pad on to the new model and not pay? :)

I will pay it but do you guys think I should plead my case here or am I making something out of nothing? Should I just be happy they didn't blame all the other stuff on me breaking the track pad and keep my mouth shut?

I'd say they need to give you a new unit period free of charge since it was pretty much a lemon. They are treading in dangerous waters by making you pay for ANYTHING at this point, we do have lemon laws for a reason. Here is an example (just to make a point). If I buy a new Ford Fusion (barf) and the engine goes (along with the brakes, heater, a/c and horn), but before that I managed to accidently break one of the jack-o-lantern tail lights, should I have to pay for that tail light even though I'm getting a completely new car? No!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I personally think if your fault, you should pay. Almost no other company would even consider the replacement, but at least this one will consider it if you pay for the trackpad. Unfortunately, I believe a trackpad replacement is very expensive.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
Personally, I think you should be paying for the trackpad. You could try explaining that the machine would've had to be replaced anyway and see where it gets you.

I can see where you are coming from. My one thought is that according to Apple if you break a trackpad the entire unibody needs replacement, they can't just pop the track pad out. If that is true they lose the ability to throw that unibody into a refurb later.

Yes the track pad isn't cheap 225 pounds. I think most companies would replace a computer that had faulty bluetooth and a bad logic board and other issues however.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I think most companies would replace a computer that had faulty bluetooth and a bad logic board and other issues however.

Exactly, they wouldn't offer the replacement. Besides I can see a lot company blaming you for the broken stuff since you broke the touchpad too.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I can see where you are coming from. My one thought is that according to Apple if you break a trackpad the entire unibody needs replacement, they can't just pop the track pad out. If that is true they lose the ability to throw that unibody into a refurb later.

Yes the track pad isn't cheap 225 pounds. I think most companies would replace a computer that had faulty bluetooth and a bad logic board and other issues however.

As evidenced by the leak photos of the unibodies, the trackpad is 100% replaceable without having to replace the body.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
Exactly, they wouldn't offer the replacement. Besides I can see a lot company blaming you for the broken stuff since you broke the touchpad too.

Our first statements seem to contradict. I said I felt most companies would replace a machine if it had such faults. You response started with "exactly" and then went on to state the complete opposite. I am confused there. :)

So I guess what I am asking is what is the point of me replacing a track pad on a machine that was declared dead?

Okay Nt1440 that could be true. I was going by what the genius told me and he may have had bad information or was being dishonest.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I know this all seems confusing why Apple just wouldn't replace the machine and no charge for anything. But IMHO take the deal. you admitted that you broke the trackpad so why is that Apple's fault? Count your blessings that there is 1 of a very few companies left that have decent enough customer service that they would offer you the deal. Not many computer companies would do this especially if you admit fault, they would use that against you.

I know the trackpad is an expensive piece but the whole computer is even more expensive. Take the deal. :eek:

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
I know this all seems confusing why Apple just wouldn't replace the machine and no charge for anything. But IMHO take the deal. you admitted that you broke the trackpad so why is that Apple's fault? Count your blessings that there is 1 of a very few companies left that have decent enough customer service that they would offer you the deal. Not many computer companies would do this especially if you admit fault, they would use that against you.

I know the trackpad is an expensive piece but the whole computer is even more expensive. Take the deal. :eek:

That is what I am going to do. I am lucky to get a new machine and I am pressed on time as I am leaving for Laos soon and there is no Apple repair shops there of any kind. I was just sort of wondering if people felt Apple was pulling one over on me here. It seems that people think they are doing the right thing.

So Apple loses a bit replacing my machine and I share the cost by chipping in a bit for the track pad. If people had responded differently I might of mentioned it because I don't like to feel I am being taken advantage of. I still wouldn't have demanded anything but would have just pointed it out to make them aware of how I think.

Thanks for the replies. :)

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
Yes, you broke the trackpad but for some reason they could not repair it. I would think of it as a negotiation. You are willing to pay the difference for the replacement but I'd start by saying you'd split the difference and see if they blink. They want to resolve it and may actually take it. Or I would say that you'll pay the difference if they upgrade the processor or install maximum RAM at the least.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
Seems like digging for a RAM upgrade or whatever would just make me look greedy. I don't need a more powerful machine I only bought this one for the 15" screen Macbook specs would have been fine. I don't want an upgrade just don't find logic in paying for a track pad on a machine that had to be completely replaced regardless of the cracked track pad.

Ugh I should maybe mention what I think to them because maybe they will come up with something fair that I didn't think of. A discount on a laptop bag or something. So I spend a bit more they cut me a little deal and move more product maybe both sides win?

I am fine with it if they don't give me any concession though. It would just at this point be a nice gesture for a loyal customer more or less.

Okay here is my last thought on this... I was thinking sure I broke the track pad so I should pay for the oart I broke. However part of the repair bill is the labor for doing it. Now they will undoubtedly put this in a refurb. Am I being unreasonable to say that I should only pay for the part but not the labor?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Our first statements seem to contradict. I said I felt most companies would replace a machine if it had such faults. You response started with "exactly" and then went on to state the complete opposite. I am confused there. :)

So I guess what I am asking is what is the point of me replacing a track pad on a machine that was declared dead?

Yeah sorry, I read it as wouldn't…

Anyways, if I was company I would charge the consumer. Say you buy a car and the transmission, engine, gearbox, axles, all break in the first 2 days. Sure you deserve a new vehicle, but say you scratch the paint or smashing the windows, you need to get those fixed before you get a refund or exchange.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
I would send a letter to the store manager explaining the situation.
That you understand that you had to pay for a broken pad, but it turns out that the machine has far more complications which are clearly manufacturing and/or service defects and Apple is appropriately exchanging the machine and given the circumstances you ask them to not make an unpleasant experience more unpleasant. You did not set out to take advantage of this - it just turn out this way.

Technically - you could demand they exchange (depending on the number of days you had the machine) or completely repair - minus the broken pad. After they exchange or repair everything else you can then decide to pay for the pad or leave it broken.

I am against taking advantage of a manufacturer for something that is not their doing, but considering all of the circumstances as you describe them, I think the right thing to do is to replace the machine and keep you happy. Just one opinion.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I'm chiming in as well on this one. I followed the OP's previous thread about the broken trackpad. Yes, Apple is justified in charging you for the trackpad repair and here's why,

You brought your Macbook in to have the bluetooth module be repaired under warranty and you agreed to allow Apple to repair the damaged trackpad at your expense. Apple is required to perform only the "warranty" covered service for free and regardless what was damaged by them during the repair Apple is still required to honor the repair or offer a replacement of the unit. Apple in no way should comp you for the trackpad incident because you were paying for it to be repaired anyway. As a customer you should honor what you agreed to do which is pay for your trackpad repair that wasn't covered under warranty and as a company Apple should honor what they agreed to do which is cover the bluetooth repair which is covered under warranty.

If the bluetooth wasn't broken you'd still be paying for the trackpad repair. It's asking too much to try and get around this just because they are replacing the whole unit.
Based on the OP's previous thread showing the pics of his damaged trackpad, his Macbook was quite dirty and he admitted that he doesn't take very good care of it based on his surroundings. IMO, getting a fresh machine and paying for your original repair is more than fair.
Anyone saying that Apple is treading on thin ice by making you pay knows nothing what they are talking about.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
I have already agreed to pay. Although a part of the bill they are charging me for was including labor that was never needed on my end. However dirty my laptop was it didn't short out the logic board and the Bluetooth and whatever was wrong that Apple couldn't piece back together.

I am willing to pay for the part. I cleaned the MBP and it was pristine and they examined it. Not one indication of a fall and the physical condition matched my description. Do you think if the unibody wasn't in perfect condition they woould help me at all? There were no scratches and nothing else wrong.

I admitted how I treat my computers because I hate those people that go into the Apple store looking for repairs they don't deserve.

All I am saying is why should I pay for labor that doesn't apply to me anymore? The unibody with the new trackpad will be a refurb now. I bought the part why shouldn't Apple pay to put it into the machine it will find it's new home in?

I have decided I will just show the Apple genius this thread and see what he says. Whatever decison he gives I will live with.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
Paying for the part is one thing but paying for labor that was not performed is excessive. They will put it through the refurbish process and you'll be paying for a good portion of that expense. You should go into the store at a busy time and let people see how they're trying to make you pay for something that will be sold for a set price on the refurbished page. As a potential buyer at the store, I would raise an eyebrow if that unfolded in front of me.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
I think you are very lucky, you did say the trackpad was your fault and you are even getting a new legacy MBP so I say go for it.

ChrisN

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
LOL This is the point where I am willing to pay but I still don't know what solution is actually right. If I hadn't broke the track pad I would have no problem however if Apple hadn't sold me a hunk of junk machine they would be off the hook. I am beginning to feel that 220 pounds for this is too much as the genius lied to me about replacing the entire unibody according to a poster in this thread. If they can in fact replace the pad only and are charging me for labor plus a new unibody is that cool?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Effectively, someone replaced your trackpad, so that was done, but then there was a fault found with your logic board, and that's being offered as free, I'd say pay for it really, if I was 15 I'd say, NO FIGHT THE MAN etc etc, but, you broke your trackpad, they then replaced it, they then found other faults.

Sorry man, but you should pay for it really.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
Effectively, someone replaced your trackpad, so that was done, but then there was a fault found with your logic board, and that's being offered as free, I'd say pay for it really, if I was 15 I'd say, NO FIGHT THE MAN etc etc, but, you broke your trackpad, they then replaced it, they then found other faults.

Sorry man, but you should pay for it really.

So they sell the track pad that I paid for and charge me for the labor and get to resell it on a refurb? Just so I can get my defective hardware replaced? They have said they can't fix the computer they have in their backroom that's why they called me.

Those faults were there don't tell me some cigarette ash made my BT and logic board fry. Even after a complete replacement of the upper lid the screen and the logic board it didn't work. They called me to say this.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I'd try to meet them in the middle. If they are hesitant and say no, I'd just pay up and forget the whole thing. But that's me.

Really, it's up to you. If you think you need to fight it, by all means go fight it. I'm sure if you stay calm and collected, they will eventually give in.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
I'd try to meet them in the middle. If they are hesitant and say no, I'd just pay up and forget the whole thing. But that's me.

Really, it's up to you. If you think you need to fight it, by all means go fight it. I'm sure if you stay calm and collected, they will eventually give in.

I don't mind to pay but something in me is saying it isn't all my fault either. I really don't feel that I am trying to abuse my rights as a consumer. I have broken a few Macs and also had some defective Apple products in my life and have never asked for any consideration. In this case how can I break a Mac that was so screwed up to begin with?

I will of course be calm that is just common sense. i am sorry if my tone on the internet suggested my demeanor was anything but calm.

Anyway this is my last post as I will go to bed now and see what they say tomorrow. Once again thanks to everybody for their input. I still don't know what is the right thing and that's why I asked. :)

I will let you all know what the result is. If anybody even cares LOL

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
@Ryanwarsaw, first, you need to get past what Apple is going to do with the defective one rather it being made into a refurb or melt the metal to make a new one, that's beside the point and none of your concern to be honest. It doesn't matter what they are going to do with it.
At first you seem to be quite content that Apple was going to replace the machine but now you are making this to be much more of a fight between you and Apple. Also regardless of what some other poster said in regards to how Apple repairs the trackpad, they fix their computers the way they see fit and you can't come to the conclusion that they are lying or not. That other poster doesn't run Apple's business and I wouldn't recommend wasting your time showing the genius this thread, I guarantee you he won't care what's been written on a public forum.

You do have a point as far as just paying for the trackpad and not the labor BUT only because the unit is being replaced. I don't understand why you feel that Apple shouldn't charge you labor from the beginning. They were going to replace the trackpad which IS labor so why you expect Apple to N/C the labor to replace the trackpad from the beginning is nonsence.

Look, if you have to pay for the labor and for the trackpad even though they are replacing the unit just pay it and move on. You seemed quite happy that they were replacing the computer because you'd still be able to take it with you when you leave for your trip. I say, since the replacement will be in your hands in time for your trip, and you are not being inconvienced then pay for the labor and part and move on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.