Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prosty41

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Is it just me or does it seriously take an hour or more just to backup my iphone...is there something i can do to make the whole process quicker?

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Which version of the iPhone firmware are you using? If it is a version earlier than 2.1 you can expect extremely long backups. After the 2.1 update, the backups were much better but take longer depending on the number of Apps you have installed and how long it has been since your last update. Hope this helps.

cvollmer

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
please help

i have the iPhone 3G and i have tried to update it at least three times with the latest and greatest.
today, i started at 9:00 a.m. and will probably have to stop it (again) when i leave at 4:30 p.m. because it will most likely not be done by this time.

i am wondering if this is normal. i saw the update on an iPod Touch with the multiple application option so i know it is possible.
my iTunes "Backing Up iPhone"... just looks frozen - the bar is not even moving, but in the task manager, it is "running."

please help :confused:

oh yes, and i have no idea how to make a "thread" of my own.
i am sorry.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
i have the iPhone 3G and i have tried to update it at least three times with the latest and greatest.
today, i started at 9:00 a.m. and will probably have to stop it (again) when i leave at 4:30 p.m. because it will most likely not be done by this time.

i am wondering if this is normal. i saw the update on an iPod Touch with the multiple application option so i know it is possible.
my iTunes "Backing Up iPhone"... just looks frozen - the bar is not even moving, but in the task manager, it is "running."

please help :confused:

No, it's not normal to take several hours, especially if you're just updating.

I would restore the phone in DFU mode, and probably setup as new, if you don't have game saves or texts you can't lose and if you have everything synced so the setup as new is relatively painless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.