Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I just bought a Linksys WRT110 today and have been unable to connect to the internet with my MacBook. It works fine if I have a ethernet cable connected, but if I try to connect wirelessly, it will just say "AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet" in the Network Preferences...

it's some random IP address "169.254.116.122" and not 192.168.1.x like it should be

Also, the light in the middle of the router is red...not sure what that means.

In addition, I have an iPod touch that can connect to the internet without any problems.

FotoGenetix

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2008
i assume you had it working with a wifi setup you had before? if so did you set it up with the same SSID? I would clear all wifi network prefs if you havent already. a 169 address is given when DHCP doesnt provide you with an IP addy

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
i assume you had it working with a wifi setup you had before? if so did you set it up with the same SSID? I would clear all wifi network prefs if you havent already. a 169 address is given when DHCP doesnt provide you with an IP addy

Thanks. It worked. Now I have another problem. The connection is extremely slow. I can't even run a speed test...but when I try to download something, it's only downloading at 11 KB/s...been troubleshooting this piece of junk ever since I bought it..which was at 11...I think I'm just going to return it.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Thanks. It worked. Now I have another problem. The connection is extremely slow. I can't even run a speed test...been troubleshooting this piece of junk ever since I bought it..which was at 11...I think I'm just going to return it.

If you hold down the Option key and click the WiFi "Fan" on the menu bar, what is the transmit rate that is reported? If your network is b/g, it should be around 52. If it's wireless N, it can go up to 300. If it's significantly lower than 52, try and set your router to a different channel. It may be that you're experiencing interference from another device. Is your Internet slow when you connect via Ethernet?

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
If you hold down the Option key and click the WiFi "Fan" on the menu bar, what is the transmit rate that is reported? If your network is b/g, it should be around 52. If it's wireless N, it can go up to 300. If it's significantly lower than 52, try and set your router to a different channel. It may be that you're experiencing interference from another device. Is your Internet slow when you connect via Ethernet?

Thanks, but I've just had enough with this thing. Going to return it before I punch a hole in the wall, lol :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.