Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Nov 28, 2008, 07:06 PM   #1
hawaiipoolman
macrumors regular

iPhone Apps and Transfer to new Computer

I am migrating my iPhone from a Vista Machine to an iMac, and I want to know the proper way to migrate my iPhone to a new computer.... I want to know especially how to move my apps and my app's settings. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by hawaiipoolman; Nov 28, 2008 at 07:44 PM.
hawaiipoolman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2008, 07:15 AM   #2
warburg
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiipoolman View Post
I am migrating my iPhone from a Vista Machine to an iMac, and I want to know the proper way to migrate my iPhone to a new computer.... I want to know especially how to move my apps and my app's settings. any help would be appreciated.

thanks
You will first need to authorize the iMac (use itunes menu). Then you simply download the apps again, which is free, and sync the iphone.
warburg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:34 PM   #3
argee
macrumors newbie

Exclamation This doesn't seem to be working for me.

Hey there. I tried out the authorizing of my account on my new iMac, and it says I'm already authorized (I did it earlier) and then surfed over to the app store to Voxie, and app I know I paid for. The app was still priced as $1.99, as opposed to the free that was suggested.

Thanks, in advance, for the help!
argee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:08 AM   #4
andylyon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The app was still priced as $1.99, as opposed to the free that was suggested.
I think im right in saying that when you go and try to download it, it will say you have already purchased it and would you like to purchase it again for free.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:09 AM   #5
Mattwood
macrumors member

Copy the purchased apps (.ipa files in iTunes directories) move them to the new computer via pen drive or hard drive etc.

authorise the new computer on itunes etc.

its simple - easier on mac to mac through migrate options
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:22 AM   #6
tdar
macrumors 6502

You do know that after you have authorized the the phone on the iMac, that you can right click on the phones name in Itunes and select to transfer your purchases to the new computer right?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:29 AM   #7
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdar View Post
You do know that after you have authorized the the phone on the iMac, that you can right click on the phones name in Itunes and select to transfer your purchases to the new computer right?
I was wondering why no one had told the OP this. It's that easy.

OP, what you should also do is backup your iPhone in iTunes to the Mac. That'll bring over the App settings, among other things. Then sync contacts, notes, etc. (you won't be able to get pics, video, and music w/o copying them from the computer to the Mac....make sure to consolidate the library before copying) and you'll be all set. Oh, BTW, if it asks to merge, pick merge.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting