Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I'm testing out a copy of ViaVoice for review, but it refuses to use the internal microphone on my PowerBook (G4, running Panther).

But it won't recognise the microphone that came with it, or any of the two others I've tried plugging in. All three of these (one USB, which I've been using to try out Dragon Naturally Speaking, whose mic it was, the other two the kind with two jacks) fail.

The USB one doesn't work at all (yes, it works on the PC), and the two with separate mic and headphone jacks work on the headphone part but not on the mic part.

The microphone port on the Powerbook isn't marked with the usual mic symbol, and calls itself an "audio line in port". Its definition in the manual says: "Connect your PowerBook to a line-level microphone or other audio equipment".

What's a line-level microphone? Is that something different from the type of mic that humans normally use?

Any ideas for finding out if it's just not working or if there's something I can do to make it work? (Or to force Via Voice to use the internal mic?)

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
for the internal microphone
goto systemprefs-sound-input, you should see internal mic in the list. select it and see if the input volume is not muted.

When you use the external line in mic, do the same thing. now you would see two names in the list. so please make sure the input volume for the selected mic is not zero.

Usb mic wont work as such on pb, you would have to get anadaptor, like igriffin or some other.

line level microphones are different from mic level microphone and macs no longer accept mic level.
the signal in line level is much amplified .
cheers

Mala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
No, the sound isn't muted; it's *showing* a second mic in the system prefs, but Via Voice isn't recognising it.

Is there any way I can test the mic by recording to some other program, to see if it's seen by the Mac generally?

Mala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Sorry, I was using the wrong headset and mic. ViaVoice comes with a USB mic with a speaker cable running out from the USB adapter. I had the USB bit plugged in, but not the speaker cable. (The same USB gadget had worked on the PC without the separate cable.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.