Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

22Tango

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Central Texas
I want to narrate some videos I'll be putting on YouTube. I've found a good USB mic on Ebay but does anybody offer software for the Mac that allows for adjusting the tone, bass for voice over work?

Thanks,
22Tango

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
I want to narrate some videos I'll be putting on YouTube. I've found a good USB mic on Ebay but does anybody offer software for the Mac that allows for adjusting the tone, bass for voice over work?

Thanks,
22Tango

Garageband can do that for you. but if you want it to really sound like a pro did it, you may have to use Logic for that.

22Tango

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Central Texas
USB mic incompatibility w/OS X 10.5.5 ?

My new Audio-Technica AT2020 USB microphone arrived, I like it a lot, but I am having Hell with it on my iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz, running iMovie HD with OS X 10.5.5

For some strange reason, it works fine on my old 12 inch Powerbook running
OS X 10.4.11. But, I need to use the iMac for making my movies and doing my voice-overs. (And I need to use iMovie HD, because of my propensity to hate iMovie 08 !)

When I connect the USB mic to the iMac, I see that the iMac recognizes the AT2020 USB in Preferences in the audio section and I tell it to use this for my audio-in. When in iMovie, after getting the AT2020 up and running, when I click on the record button, I get that blasted colored spinning ball. It runs for several minutes, then without warning, I am able to record a voice-over, but it is hell, having to wait 5 minutes or so, and then be giving no warning that you are about to record audio.

I could in theory use GarageBand to do my voice-over BUT, it is helpful for me to simply watch my iMovie footage and lay down the narrative "hot" as I am watching my footage. (FYI, I am uploading my old home movie footage I shot in Vietnam when I was a machine gunner at age 19... yep, I'm an old fart these days, but I love my Macs and making movies... :)

Does anybody have any idea why my iMac and or OS X 10.505 and iMovieHD is giving me fits? If so, be gentle on me with the tech-talk. To me, Kernel Panic is when the Colonel yells at the troops, and all the soldiers get in a panic...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.