Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papadopolis1024

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
The 2008 summer I worked as a lifeguard at a summer camp and have certification for CPR and First Aid. But need a job until next summer for money for such things like gas... I have some experience working in a kitchen from the camp... I applied to the local bloom... But got denied. Any ideas or tips on finding a job in the middle of nowhere...

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Small dump company. You buy a truck an print "Got trash? Call 555-555-5555" and you're in business.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

You can look on craigslist.org for a job...
Sorry I can't give you much advice, but I wish you luck. :)

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
KFC or any other fast food restaurant it will be good experience and if you go away for school you will be able to get a job at another fast food restaurant with probably a higher wage than minimum wage! ;)

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
This thread contains a dearth of necessary data.

Male/female, where are you located.

You gotta help us out, before we can attempt to help you.

papadopolis1024

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
This thread contains a dearth of necessary data.

Male/female, where are you located.

You gotta help us out, before we can attempt to help you.

Well I am in the upstate of SC... The town I live has only about 10,000 people... But I am about 15 mins away from Clemson University....

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Well I am in the upstate of SC... The town I live has only about 10,000 people... But I am about 15 mins away from Clemson University....

*only* 10,000, LOL. The town I grew up in is less than 1/3 that size. ;)

Fast food all the way. Just whip up a small resume (even if they don't ask for it, its alwas good to have one and get the practice writing one) and hit the road. You should be able to get applications pretty much anywhere.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Male/female,

Don't mean to sound too ridiculous, but why would gender matter?

OP, I suggest working at a clothing store. It's important to do that once in your life, plus you'll get better at folding your own clothes. :p

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I did 'pot wash', working in a kitchen basically doing the washing and drying. Not a great job for a 17yo vegetarian.

I had never even considered that the position existed - a friend of mine told me there was a spot, so I applied and got it. Yay me.

My advice would be take whatever you can find, the crappier the better. That'll ensure you don't wind up spending your whole life there :D

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Apple Store! :p

Well you wouldn't advise a male to work in somewhere like Ann Summers and wou wouldn't advise a female to work in somewhere like Game...not saying males/females don;t work in these places but...yh....you know

HA! Brilliant LOL. I just got images of some 17 yr old guy in Ann Summers in my head lol.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Well you wouldn't advise a male to work in somewhere like Ann Summers and wou wouldn't advise a female to work in somewhere like Game...not saying males/females don;t work in these places but...yh....you know

Why would it matter still? Can a man not work in an adult shop? Can a women not work at a game store?

Like I said, I'm not trying to be "that guy" but I honestly just don't see why it would matter (especially since as a teenager, the OP is rather limited in his selection of adult store jobs :p).

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Fast food, bussing tables at a restaurant, etc are all possibilities.

If you like kids there's always babysitting.

And if you are good with people, you can offer to give computer lessons on basic things (installing programs, using word/excel/powerpoint) to the elderly or people who didn't grow up around computers.

Babysitting and/or offering computer tutoring would be good since they'd be "under the table" jobs that wouldn't generate IRS paperwork. Many companies are hesitant to hire below 18 for any decent jobs due to hourly limitations. I know when I was a manager for Borders we did not hire below anyone below 18 because it didn't do us a lot of good to have someone who could work from, say, 5pm-9pm if we needed people from 5pm-10pm (and depending on your state there are severe penalties for letting minors work past certain hours.)

Fast food generally doesn't have the same issue. I know we hired below 18 at Panera, though technically you couldn't use certain equipment if you were a minor. Apparently turning 18 makes you magically capable of using industrial bread slicers, while being 17 and 364 days makes you an idiot. :)

papadopolis1024

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
Thanks guys these are a lot of great ideas.... There is a Goodies down the road from my house.... Might apply there... BTW my friend who works at bloom told me I did not get the job there because I went in to talk to the lady who hires and I was wearing a vest and tie (yes I know)... Atleast that is what she told him

P.S.

I am a male... Just so you know.. haha

jesses

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2007
Georgia
veterinary hospital an option? i'm currently working in one as a veterinary assistant. i'm the tender age of 17 as well. :)

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
Get three years of shoe-salesmanship under your belt and no one will ever mess with you...unless of course they know you were a shoe salesman.

Stepper

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2008
North London, England
Why would it matter still? Can a man not work in an adult shop? Can a women not work at a game store?

Like I said, I'm not trying to be "that guy" but I honestly just don't see why it would matter (especially since as a teenager, the OP is rather limited in his selection of adult store jobs :p).

No, it doesn't matter...I've seen a man working in Ann Summers and a woman working in Game, but the man was gay and the woman looked like she was recovering from a COD4 all nighter.

A different example, would a woman feel comfortable going into a shop, lets use La Senza this time, and asking a male employee about what kind of bra would best suit her? Of course the emplyoee wouldn;t mind advising her (i know i wouldn;t:p) but would a woman feel comfortable....I would guess not

And yh your right, since the OP is only 17 I guess he wouldn't be allowed to work in Game, Ann Summers, La Senza etc

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
The 2008 summer I worked as a lifeguard at a summer camp and have certification for CPR and First Aid. But need a job until next summer for money for such things like gas... I have some experience working in a kitchen from the camp... I applied to the local bloom... But got denied. Any ideas or tips on finding a job in the middle of nowhere...

I too grew up in the middle of nowhere, fewer than 5,000 people, and nobody hired teens anywhere so I got a few gardening tools and worked in neighbors' yards. This helped me up until college, and while I didn't charge enough, it gave me money for gas, candy, soda, movies, dates, etc.

After college, I returned to some of these people and continued gardening and got into some landscaping and drip system stuff for the next 20 years.

My advice if you try this is to get some comfy gloves, some corona clippers with holder, and hope the neighbors have rakes, brooms, and hand saws. This should get you started and it's a quick way to build a reputation and earn money during the hard times. Double up and do windows, and if you can, do some outdoor painting. If you are really talented, which I wasn't but some were, you can do plumbing and indoor painting.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon

No, but stereotyping is applied - especially regarding jobs - in many other ways. e.g. I did try a male assistant once, but I'm not doing it again. I used to design/code logistics applications for an airline among other tech-related roles in my spare time when I was 17, so unfortunately I can't be of much help.

But it does help to just cast around the circle of people you know and let them know you're available for work. All of the worthwhile jobs I got, I got by knowing people who recommended or put me in for positions.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
I've got two rules that I stick by

1) don't work with food
2) don't work with the public

I know it's limiting, but I follow these rules for the sake of my sanity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.