Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Nov 30, 2008, 05:46 PM   #1
Buzz Law
macrumors newbie

Clean your Macbook Pro (Unibody)

This thread is geared towards MB/MBP owners, (specifically those with the late 2008) models. Its very easy to add stain-art to the cosmetics of any laptop. Drops of soup love to introduce themselves to the trackpad and rain drops may bounce off your jacket onto the screen on a wet day. If you're like me, you're heavily bothered by the slightest imperfection and hesitant to clean it, especially the screen.

I finally cleaned mine after having stains on the trackpad, outside the trackpad, grease on the keyboard and watermarks and fingerprints on the screen.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/care/

My motivation to use my MBP has been completely regenerated ever since.

Ridiculously fast and easy - looks like its fresh out the box. I definitely wasn't the only one. Go for it.
Buzz Law is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 06:08 PM   #2
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Is there a point in perfection? As well as this thread? You clean it, and eventually it will get dirty. Use it, not show it off.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Neil1138
macrumors regular

Every night I wipe mine down with a damp microfiber cloth. I never touch it when i have greasy hands anyway but i want to keep it nice and clean until i get my invisible shield. After I install it, I think i can let loose a little bit. The shield should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'll post a write up of the install and stuff. Like a DIY. I'm a car guy so I have a lot of microfibers in the house and stuff. At sams club, you can buy an industrial microfiber set for $15. comes with 25 cloths that are 1x1 ft. great buy if you are into taking care of your car paint or just wiping down the macbook glass screen.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 07:10 PM   #4
chamisi
macrumors newbie

i just sand mine down with my grinder.............not
Old Nov 30, 2008, 07:20 PM   #5
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamisi View Post
i just sand mine down with my grinder.............not
Shouldn't you using a blowtorch?
Old Nov 30, 2008, 09:08 PM   #6
Tom Sawyer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Shouldn't you using a blowtorch?
Bar Keepers Friend works wonders on those really tough stains in the metal....
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:00 PM   #7
taylorwilsdon
macrumors 68000

I use a wet towel on the case, or if I'm feeling frisky I'll break out a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. This is brushed aluminum, about the easiest material to keep clean (although it gets dirty easy too).

Now, polishing the rims on my car (rims that cost quite a bit more than my computer ) is a much harder job. Brake dust > fingerprints.
taylorwilsdon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:52 PM   #8
uiop.
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
Is there a point in perfection? As well as this thread? You clean it, and eventually it will get dirty. Use it, not show it off.
I couldn't agree more. It's a computer, not a piece of art on display in a museum. If you're getting bent out of shape by fingerprints on the keyboard then I think you might have bigger issues that need to be resolved. Two each their own. I'll keep using my oily-keyboarded, smudged-screened MBP for now.
uiop. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:15 PM   #9
CaffeMacchiato
macrumors member

Certainly, the whole point of having a laptop is to use it--at least for most people. Nonetheless, durability is a valid consideration in a product design, i.e. choice of material, etc. My wired apple keyboard (white) seems to be much more oil-proof, than that of my mbp (late 2008).
CaffeMacchiato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:18 PM   #10
Azagar
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to Azagar Send a message via Yahoo to Azagar Send a message via Skype™ to Azagar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeMacchiato View Post
Certainly, the whole point of having a laptop is to use it--at least for most people. Nonetheless, durability is a valid consideration in a product design, i.e. choice of material, etc. My wired apple keyboard (white) seems to be much more oil-proof, than that of my mbp (late 2008).
Well the color black is almost always easier to get dirty compared to the white on the keyboard, and I love that keyboard too bad it is a crumb magnet, among other things on the bottom of the keys. But nothing a condensed air can can't fix/clean.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:23 PM   #11
iVeBeenDrinkin'
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Law View Post
This thread is geared towards MB/MBP owners, (specifically those with the late 2008) models. Its very easy to add stain-art to the cosmetics of any laptop. Drops of soup love to introduce themselves to the trackpad and rain drops may bounce off your jacket onto the screen on a wet day. If you're like me, you're heavily bothered by the slightest imperfection and hesitant to clean it, especially the screen.

I finally cleaned mine after having stains on the trackpad, outside the trackpad, grease on the keyboard and watermarks and fingerprints on the screen.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/care/

My motivation to use my MBP has been completely regenerated ever since.

Ridiculously fast and easy - looks like its fresh out the box. I definitely wasn't the only one. Go for it.
Didn't you ask this question about a week ago? In another thread, that you started???
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:34 PM   #12
HLdan
Banned

No offense to the OP BUT....It's not wise (rather use a different word but I might get banned) to eat a bowl of soup over your computer. Who would do that??? Also there is no reason to get raindrops from your clothes on your computer unless you are sitting there typing on your computer with a dripping wet jacket, which also is not wise (again, rather use a different word but I might get banned).
HLdan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:39 PM   #13
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
I think we have found the king/queen of all OCDs.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:04 AM   #14
Ampidire
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVeBeenDrinkin' View Post
Didn't you ask this question about a week ago? In another thread, that you started???
where we referred him to this link. yes.
Ampidire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:04 AM   #15
CaffeMacchiato
macrumors member

Some would say that there is no problem at all. If one belongs to the other problematic camp, then it is either Apple's laptop design or the oily user.

The Apple wired keyboard (white) seems to be using a different type of material for the keys on the keyboard.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:14 AM   #16
Azagar
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to Azagar Send a message via Yahoo to Azagar Send a message via Skype™ to Azagar
Quote:
Some would say that there is no problem at all. If one belongs to the other problematic camp, then it is either Apple's laptop design or the oily user.

The Apple wired keyboard (white) seems to be using a different type of material for the keys on the keyboard.
This is the original Apple wired keyboard, the one that doesn't replicate the new key design of all current Macbooks were talking about right? They only difference I can feel is the new keys are a bit smoother.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 01:00 AM   #17
THX1139
macrumors 68000

If you are using your computer in the rain, you have other problems besides dirt to deal with.
THX1139 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 01:23 AM   #18
CaffeMacchiato
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azagar View Post
This is the original Apple wired keyboard, the one that doesn't replicate the new key design of all current Macbooks were talking about right? They only difference I can feel is the new keys are a bit smoother.
Not the original wired keyboard, but the one using aluminum body.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 01:45 AM   #19
Azagar
macrumors member

Quote:
Not the original wired keyboard, but the one using aluminum body.
Gotcha sorry was making the comparisons to my keyboard which is the one before the aluminum body.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 01:46 AM   #20
Pixellated
macrumors 65816

Microfiber + iKlear =
Old Dec 1, 2008, 05:42 AM   #21
naid
macrumors regular

Hmm, let's see... don't use your laptop in the rain or when you have greasy hands, and wipe it with a cloth once a month. I bet it still looks brand new a year later. Am I missing something?
naid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 03:04 PM   #22
sip615
macrumors newbie

I judge people with dirty computers. If you pay so much money for something, take pride in it and keep it clean. Also, dirty computers give bad performance.

On the other hand, I have to agree that worrying only about how it looks is a little much.

All in all, this thread is indeed slightly pointless on both counts.
sip615 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro