Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
i dont think they would "recommend" antivirus, i mean nobody bothers hacking into those or fooling around with them. besides its a totally differnt code than windows.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
MacBlogz said:
As Apple’s market share increases, so does the likelihood of malicious viruses being spread. As many have argued in the past, the reason Apple’s computers are currently so safe is because their market share is tiny in comparison to Windows. The more people that switch to Macs and begin adopting the platform, the bigger the target gets for malware developers. ...
Nonsense. The notion that marketshare plays a role in the threat posed by viruses arose from a 1999-era assertion by Bill Gates. He made the assertion to deflect blame from Microsoft at a time when Windows was facing a withering barrage of viral attacks. Gates did not then, nor did anyone since then, present any evidence to support the assertion.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I recently read an article about why the lack of viruses on OS X can't be attributed to market share. I think bookmarked it on my MacBook. I'll see if I can't dig it up.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I think it would be a sever lack of judgment if Apple would take the position that Macs could not get viruses. Whether there is a current threat or not.

rtpub

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
Nonsense. The notion that marketshare plays a role in the threat posed by viruses arose from a 1999-era assertion by Bill Gates. He made the assertion to deflect blame from Microsoft at a time when Windows was facing a withering barrage of viral attacks. Gates did not then, nor did anyone since then, present any evidence to support the assertion.

I'd believe the system architecture (security model) plays a role here... maybe that's why Vista is trying to mimic what other *nix boxes had been doing ... ;)

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
So is anyone familiar with free and/or open source antivirus software? I have found commercial packages (especially Norton!!) are more trouble than their worth.

iAntiVirus looks interesting, but I know nothing about it...

Oh, wait... I just found that Clam has a Mac version: ClamXav.

That's probably going to be the best option. Clam is tried and true.

T

Tonerl

Apple's Anti-virus Advice

At http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2550, I read:

Apple encourages the widespread use of multiple antivirus utilities so that virus programmers have more than one application to circumvent, thus making the whole virus writing process more difficult. Here are some available antivirus utilities:

* Intego VirusBarrier X5, available from the Apple Online Store
License: commercial

* Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 11 for Macintosh, available from the Apple Online Store

* McAfee VirusScan for Mac

Does this herald a new approach by Apple and should I now install at least two anti-virus programs on my iMac?

peschybear

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
Antivirus

The last time Symantec launched a anti virus program for Apple, the only vulnerability was the anti virus program itself. It created a security hole which could be exploited.
I'm very skeptic about this announcement

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Are they insane? "multiple antivirus", asking for trouble, I don't care what they say. If you must run AV, pick one and stick with it.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Are they insane? "multiple antivirus", asking for trouble, I don't care what they say. If you must run AV, pick one and stick with it.

I agree. Norton and McFee don't play well together. In fact I don't know any AV that plays well with another especially Norton.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
I would think it would look into word documents and other files which are likely to have viruses on them. Its highly unlikely they will hurt your machine, but it is good to know and stop them in case you send them to a windows PC which doesn't have any protection on it.

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I reckon Apple is just being a responsible hardware/software vendor.

I guess they don't want a situation were there's a Mac virus that causes widespread damage, and they've remained silent about recommending the use of anti-virus software.

niklot

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
i recommend a condom when u jerk off... it's saver, though its still a gimp...

c'mon wtf. 4 all existing mac viruses u have to enter like 4 times the admin psw... if you do that u deserve the virus!

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
i recommend a condom when u jerk off... it's saver, though its still a gimp...

c'mon wtf. 4 all existing mac viruses u have to enter like 4 times the admin psw... if you do that u deserve the virus!

Good point, although that makes it a trojan rather than a virus, which no anti-virus scanner can protect against. What you need there is the common sense to query why you're being asked for Admin rights when running the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.