Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwanza

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Today I was walking Home from Krav Maga. While i was walking I noticed a White iPhone on the floor. I have tried looking for details on the phone but unfortunately it's locked. Is there anyway I can find the owner from looking at the Serial Number or something like that?

Btw It's Australian and is on Optus.

Q

qwanza

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Thanks for the quick replies, Will take to Optus in the morning.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

This is so kind of you to do. Hope that the owner can be tracked down. Update us on what happens. :)

.adam

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Sorry if this is a silly response but have you tried calling 'Home' or 'Dad' or 'Mum'?

One of these people could probably give you the person's address.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Usually ring the most recently made call that isn't a business.

Maybe whoever left the phone there was so pissed at Optus' overloaded and oversold 3G network.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
I hope the owner appreciates your honesty and offers a reward. Even if you are not prepared to accept a reward yourself I would suggest that you donate it to the charity of your choice.

If I had lost my phone and had it returned in this way then I would feel compelled to reward you or your chosen charity.

Good on you!
Craig.

draperm25

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
What i would do is go into the shop and see if they have any details of them, ask them to contact them and give them your cell number so you could meet and give it in person.

I would prefer to give the iPhone back to the owner myself rather than giving it to someone in the shop and then you not knowing if they got it or not, not that i am saying anyone in that store is dishonest but.

Just my thoughts and what i would prefer to do.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Thank god for people like you.

What I would do is contact Apple and have them look up the serial number. Chances are that person might of contacted Apple or their wireless provider already and reported it lost.

Kevlar

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2004
Great White North
What i would do is go into the shop and see if they have any details of them, ask them to contact them and give them your cell number so you could meet and give it in person.

I would prefer to give the iPhone back to the owner myself rather than giving it to someone in the shop and then you not knowing if they got it or not, not that i am saying anyone in that store is dishonest but.

Just my thoughts and what i would prefer to do.

Yea I totally agree. Couldn't you contact apple with the S/N and maybe get an email or somekind of other info, since you have to register the phone when you activate it in itunes. This assuming the phone isn't jailbreaked.

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
It's locked, but can't you make an "Emergency Call?"

I've never used the feature, but as I understand it, that will enable you to get to the "Favorites" phone numbers.

Surely, someone there will know who's phone it is.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
It's locked, but can't you make an "Emergency Call?"

I've never used the feature, but as I understand it, that will enable you to get to the "Favorites" phone numbers.

Surely, someone there will know who's phone it is.

It doesn't let you get to the favorites. The emergency bug is fixed.

Apple will have all the info of the user by the serial number on the phone.

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
Hmmm...

Well, I suppose there's still the slim chance that this phone hasn't been updated to current software, which plugs that particular hole?

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Hmmm...

Well, I suppose there's still the slim chance that this phone hasn't been updated to current software, which plugs that particular hole?

Yeah but they can't still can't access the favorites. Only thing in this situation with the emergency unlock bug to benefit is having whoever found the phone call Apple directly from the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.