Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
This is a blog entry I found from a user on AppleInsider.com. He brings up some very good issues to debunk the argument some people use to explain why Mac OS X doesn't have (known) viruses. I want to know what everyone else thinks about it.

Article Link: Setting The Virus Record Straight: Debunking The Market Share Myth

Here is a snippet...

As Apple continues its slow and steady rise in popularity with consumers, more and more self-appointed security experts on blogs and various tech publications are talking about how the Mac’s operating system, OS X, is not any more inherently secure or safe from viruses and malware than Windows is. The flimsy rationale for this statement (which more often than not comes without any factual support) is that because the Mac’s market share is so small relative to Windows, creators of malware have no interest. Those evil hackers would prefer to get more bang from their coding buck, so to speak, by targeting the largest audience possible with their malware.

Not only is there no evidence to support this assertion, but there actually exists a lot of evidence that counters it. And while I may agree that there is a tiny grain of truth to this argument, it’s not the whole story, not by a long shot. There are many other factors beyond market share that influence a computer platform’s chances of getting viruses or having security exploits.

By the way, I am in no way trying to promote this guys blog, I just think this is a very good article. I also think it's too long to post here.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2550?viewlocale=en_US

Not too long ago apple has begun to "suggest" that Mac users buy Antivirus software.
There are 15 threads on this already, but Apple is not "suggesting" nor is it recommending that its users buy antivirus software. Apple is recommending that its users not all use the same antivirus software package.

There are no MacOS X viruses. With this recommendation, Apple has developed an impenetrable defense against pressure to develop its own antivirus utility.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
The main purpose of this article/thread was to debunk the theories about Mac OS X having no viruses because they have very little market share. I don't want to get into whether you should run virus software or whether Apple recommends it, there are already plenty of threads on this.

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
If marketshare was a virus writer's prime factor when considering the target, don't you think they would write for Apache? Apache's servers host something like 70% of websites, and they got hit with about one worm in the past eight years.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Arguing about this is pointless. The Market Share Theory cannot be proved nor disproved until Apple and OS X has over 90% of the market like MS does. Until then we are all just saying whatever we feel like based on whatever speculation we've already decided we agree with.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Arguing about this is pointless. The Market Share Theory cannot be proved nor disproved until Apple and OS X has over 90% of the market like MS does. Until then we are all just saying whatever we feel like based on whatever speculation we've already decided we agree with.

If market share had anything to do with it, why were there viruses back when Apple's market share was a lot smaller than it is today. There are way more people using OS X now than there was using OS 8 and there are no viruses.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I think there is a very creditable argument on why it is not related to market share.

One known mac virus was made for OS 9. OS 9s market share was not even 10% of OS Xs current market share. It is a matter of how the software functions more then anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.