Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
GTA IV is avialble in the USA today. Has anybody tried it on the Mac?

I've hearing reports that it runs poorly on ATI cards - can anybody confirm?

123Luke321

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
Hi.
I can confirm, that there are problems with Radeons. A friend of mine has got a PC with a HD3850.
The game startet the first time he tried, and then only after 40-50 trys.

Has anybody tested the game on an iMac with a Radeon HD 2600?
Please tell me if it works.

Bye

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Sandbox games generally need very high spec gaming systems to run well, pretty much everything that can be is used up. Ram for storing mission info, all the models positions and AI, the CPU for running every human and vehicle AI within a radius and the GPU to render it all and make it look lovelyful. All I can suggest is turning the settings and resolution down and make sure you have a lot of Ram.

mongrol

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
Sandbox games generally need very high spec gaming systems to run well, pretty much everything that can be is used up. Ram for storing mission info, all the models positions and AI, the CPU for running every human and vehicle AI within a radius and the GPU to render it all and make it look lovelyful.

What rubbish.

goonerman

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
Sydney, Australia
So dissapointed to hear about these problems. Was looking forward to this game for a while.

Has anyone tested it with the latest iMac w/ 512mb 8800GS? Please let me know because i would like to pick it up sometime today.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
Mmm, but it's just like any previous GTA game. This time I'm hearing rumblings that it's a bad port with ATI cards struggling (maybe because of bad drivers).

Recommended specs on the box are only for a GeForce 6600!

Anyway, we'll see because it should be on the doormat when I get home from work tonight.

nerdbert

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Has someone tried it on a late 2007 MBP?

Since it's 16 GB I'm hoping that they've included textures for cards with less than 256 MB (the sys requirements are not really specific IMO)

Otherwise I don't have much hope that it will run on my 8600M GT 128 MB.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I noticed that the PC version got a realistic score this time around, since Rockstar wasn't shoving money down IGN's throat for an undeserved perfect score. Absolutely ridiculous.

Very much so, and the reason why I won't be giving these overhyping websites any of my moneys :)

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I have it on the MBP in my sig. Its pretty crippled cause of the lack of video ram I have. Im running it pretty much on all low w/ 800x600

goonerman

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Ok so i picked it up yesterday and installed it on my iMac (below) with a 512mb geforce 8800gs and it runs at 22.9 FPS from the autoconfigure settings. its playable but doesn't look as good as console version me thinks.

just waiting on a patch from rockstar and for apple to update the bootcamp drivers for the graphics card.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Ok so i picked it up yesterday and installed it on my iMac (below) with a 512mb geforce 8800gs and it runs at 22.9 FPS from the autoconfigure settings. its playable but doesn't look as good as console version me thinks.

just waiting on a patch from rockstar and for apple to update the bootcamp drivers for the graphics card.

For me, auto configure settings were crap. maybe 15-20 fps at best. If I run it at all low, I get closer to 30 fps but still runs like crap. lol.

goonerman

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
Sydney, Australia
yeah. i'll have to play around with settings a little. I only got to play for an hour last night but problems aside, I'm really impressed by this game.

I haven't played the console versions before so this is all new to me. The physics engine rocks, people actually park their cars and open the boot to get their shopping out, people pull phones out of their pockets and start talking and tyres pop when you do burnouts for too long. Just the little things that make it really enjoyable to play.

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
nVidia 8600M GT 128mb ram on a 2.2 mbp w/ 2 gigs of ram...

... complete crap.

On all low settings, it's BARELY playable, I mean lag out the a**.

It runs like hell on anything that doesn't have two graphics cards I bet... lol.

I'm beyond pissed, this post only shows one one trillionth of how I really feel....
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Rockstar does it again. This is rushed port for the holidays. If it's not the crap optimization, it's the bugs. The previous GTA games "eventually" ran fine on PCs, so it's going to be a matter of a waiting for a patch -- which is crap. They should have held off and at least released this beta for testing.

On Shacknews, there's reports that it doesn't support most SLI setups and that for the most part it's capped to 30 fps.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
^ Just a shame you're playing it on a console, and when is the PS3's DLC out? :D
You don't have to wait. Get the Omega Drivers for whatever card and OS you have. They're the latest drivers and come with lots of tweaks and tools.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.