Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobalpha

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2004
adre did you buy the one at the apple store?

If you did, I was thinking about dropping the cash for such a deal.

Haha. One great Deal!!!

pbailey

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2002
Iowa
spinner said:
Also, you can get a refurb single 1.8 G5 for $1699 my brother purchased one. I am quite jealous! :D

I just purchased a refurb single 1.8 G5 as well this evening from Apple's Online Store. I probably won't receive it until late next week.

I have never purchased a refurb computer before so I'm a little concerned as to the condition of the unit when it arrives.

Has your brother had any trouble with his new G5?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Overall, Apple's refurbs are in very good condition. They are still covered by a warranty - and they are very willing to work with customers if the product doesn't arrive the way it is supposed to. It's just an older and wiser machine :p

fatzmack

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2004
i purchased a refurb dual 2ghz and refurb 20" apple cinema display just about two days ago. they should arrive on the 9th [lookin' really forward to it]. from what i understand, refurb products are in majority, just as good as new ones. i'll be sure to post on how it goes...

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
dudewheresmymac said:
does anyone know what a refurbished G5 1.6 goes for or has it not been listed yet

thanks

Refurbs only sell when they are available (therefore there may not be a refurb 1.6 for a while). New Single 1.8 G5s are going for $1899 right now.

The 1.8 is way better than the 1.6 IMO because of PCI-X, the larger default HD, the faster RAM, the "512K L2 cache/processor vs. just 512K L2 cache" - according to the Apple Site, the extra 4 GB RAM capacity, the faster BUS, and the faster processor.

clr900

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
I am a little undecided as to what model G5 I should get when Rev. B comes out. I qualify for the education discount therefore it would benefit me to get one of the new models. A refurb model might be cheaper but it is refurb and might be slower than the new models. The best situation would be if they make Dual 2ghz the cheapest model, that way I could get that with the student discount or maybe even get a new but discontinued or refurb dual 1.8 even cheaper. Decisions decision....come on Apple update them already.

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
pbailey said:
I just purchased a refurb single 1.8 G5 as well this evening from Apple's Online Store. I probably won't receive it until late next week.

I have never purchased a refurb computer before so I'm a little concerned as to the condition of the unit when it arrives.

Has your brother had any trouble with his new G5?

None whatsoever. It was just like brand new, no scratch or anything. Runs like a dream. It came installed with Jag and had upgrade cd's for panther.

fatzmack

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2004
just received my refurb dual 2ghz g5 as well as my refurb 20 inch apple cinema display...

tip top. i'm a very happy man, who's social life will be put on the back burner for a while now :D

fieramosca

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2004
Refurb with extras..

I just purchased a refurb G5 2GHz from the Apple Store and was a little daunted initially, because the machine had a bad processor when it arrived, but in consolation (and this is ringer) it came with 1 GB ram (that's an extra 512 I did not pay for) and the Radeon 9800 video card (again--no charge). Sure I had to take the machine to a local mac shop for a few days, but I feel it was OK since they threw in those extra items into my beloved aluminum tower. All for $2399. Maybe I should put this machine up on ebay and put the earned funds toward another refurb machine? Well, OK I won't do that, but I've thought about it more than once.

Can you say very pleased? :)

clr900

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
fieramosca said:
I just purchased a refurb G5 2GHz from the Apple Store and was a little daunted initially, because the machine had a bad processor when it arrived, but in consolation (and this is ringer) it came with 1 GB ram (that's an extra 512 I did not pay for) and the Radeon 9800 video card (again--no charge). Sure I had to take the machine to a local mac shop for a few days, but I feel it was OK since they threw in those extra items into my beloved aluminum tower. All for $2399. Maybe I should put this machine up on ebay and put the earned funds toward another refurb machine? Well, OK I won't do that, but I've thought about it more than once.

Can you say very pleased? :)
That is awesome, thats like an extra 400 dollars or more you got for free. I wonder if Apple makes mistakes on refurbs like that a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.