Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Groklaw.net reports on the most recent legal filings from the Apple vs Psystar lawsuit which suggests that there may be unnamed individuals or corporations behind Psystar:
But here's the big news. Apple alleges that it believes there are corporations and/or individuals behind Psystar, who may be added as defendants once Apple in discovery finds out who they are. Woah.
So, Apple apparently believes that somebody else is behind Psystar, which might help to explain why a major law firm would take on what seems like a fly-by-night's case; also why Psystar has been so bold in continuing to sell its products. I knew this thing felt funny. As Alice in Wonderland might put it, "It gets interestinger and interestinger.”
The author suggests that Psystar's bold defense and ongoing sale of their Mac clones seems out of line with the small company's stature. Apple is reserving the right to add additional defendants to the case should their identities be discovered.

Psystar made headlines earlier this year when they began selling Mac OS X compatible PCs. Apple has since filed a lawsuit accusing them of copyright infringement and DMCA violations.

Article Link: Apple Suggests Possible Conspiracy Behind Psystar

xDYLANx

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Oregon <3
i dont understand why this is an issue. OS X is a registered trademark of Apple. Psystar should get shut down. Simple as that...

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
Strangely enough, that actually might be possible. Any regular startup would have gone under ages ago, so the fact that Apple is suggesting this actually makes more sense of Psystar.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
interesting development and almost makes sense. still wondering how all of this will pan out in the end.

majidf

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
Oh my, oh my what does'nt a healthy dose a day of paranoia do for you =)

Anyway, who would want to buy unsupported hardware anyway?

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I think that this guy looks awfully suspicious:

Bill_Gates_mugshot.png

Do you think that he might have had something to do with it? :D

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Interesting.

Might make me take more interest in this case than I have been..

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I think Alice said "curiouser and curiouser," not "interestinger and interestinger." Lol.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Maybe the lawyers think they can get lots of $$$ from Apple somehow, with $25 billion or so in the bank they are an attractive target, even if the lawyers only get 10% of a few hundred million it is an attractive settlement opportunity.

Not saying Apple/Psystar are right/wrong, but gees, lawyers don't need much encouragement if $$$ are in the offing.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Very strange and out there...

but who knows?

Stranger things have happened.

My money is on a Dell / Taiwan Manufactor / Reverse Vampires / RAND Consortium

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Makes a lot of sense to me. The profits Psystar (as an independent small company) stands to make if it wins the lawsuits probably aren't all that huge, compared to the hassle of a legal battle with Apple. However, other companies could benefit hugely if Psystar won, like Dell who could start selling OSX PCs, for example.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I think Alice said "curiouser and curiouser," not "interestinger and interestinger." Lol.

It was... Kind of funny when people misquote books.

My money is on the RAND Corporation in conjunction with the saucer people and reverse vampire... It make perfect sense.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Common Apple just license your OS already. I know so many people that want OS X, but just can't afford/justify the Apple tax.

Yeah Yeah I remember the Apple clones of the 90s, but this is a different age and time.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
The author suggests that Psystar's bold defense and ongoing sale of their Mac clones seems out of line with the small company's stature. Apple is reserving the right to add additional defendants to the case should their identities be discovered.

Take off the shelf cheap freely available pc parts
Add an Operating System
Have a smart person figure out how to do the updates
Pay a hosting company a small amount of money for updates
Sell said system
Hopefully profit.

That was difficult now wasn't it. Given the volume of sales it isn't like they need a massive amount of bandwidth etc for hosting their updates.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I buy the fact that someone is behind this. Who it is, I have no idea.

Nov 6, 2007
Well, kinda figured there was more to the story. A no name company from out of nowhere suddenly has the guts to stand up to a multi-billion dollar corporation and its team of lawyers. and you know Apple has there lawyers on retainer, so they can drag Psyster through the mud and take as long as they want - otherwise Psyster would have given up, due to cost a long time ago (I mean they cannot be selling that many machines to be making money - any sales figures anyone?).

I would laugh if it was some big name company like Dell, IBM, etc. After all, IBM was looking at Apples, and Dell really wanted to sell OS X machines bad *and last look Dell's stock was not going that great.

Dell Inc. Dell Inc. NASDAQ DELL 10.55

Of course Apple is not so great right now with the market issues, but I saw Dell drop below $10 recently.

xDYLANx

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Oregon <3
Makes a lot of sense to me. The profits Psystar (as an independent small company) stands to make if it wins the lawsuits probably aren't all that huge, compared to the hassle of a legal battle with Apple. However, other companies could benefit hugely if Psystar won, like Dell who could start selling OSX PCs, for example.

That would be a disaster. There's no way they can win. Mac users like us will still stick with Apple obviously. This will hurt Apple's market share and credibility. The more people than use the OS X platform, the more idiots are gonna want to program viruses.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Common Apple just license your OS already. I know so many people that want OS X, but just can't afford/justify the Apple tax.

Yeah Yeah I remember the Apple clones of the 90s, but this is a different age and time.

Please provide them with a business plan that supports your theory AND shows they would make MORE money then they do today.

Wait. Never mind, years of postings on this forum have shown why this would not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.