Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lfarrow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
So i am a film maker and have received 4 dvds from a client that needs me to rip them onto my computer to edit.

2 of the DVDS were video taped directly to DVD and 2 of the other ones were videos made by someone else and then authorized to DVD.

I am trying to get a simple FREE way to convert and rip these video/audio files off the DVDs and into Adobe Premiere.

I have Handbrake and i couldnt get Premiere to accept any of the files.

Help please with this issue. I dont know what software i need to convert to HIGH quality video to edit in Premiere. Please Help

Thanks

Lucas Farrow

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
Hmmmm.... Probably not the best solution but you could rip them into H.264 using handbrake, then use jes de-interlacer (using "bare project" settings) and output to AIC.

I sure some quality will be lost but it's worth a shot because it's free.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
I think somebody asks this every week. Mpeg Streamclip is by far the best way to do this, but you do need the $20 mpeg2 codec from apple for it to work with DVDs. If you have FCE or FCP, this codec is included.

lfarrow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
So i am still new to all this ripping DVD stuff.

Could you lay out settings and such? Like a step by step so i can get the BEST quality?

I dont know how to do this at all really so i would appreciate a good step by step

Lucas

Lunchbox16

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
I, too, have an interest in this question. I have a number of old home movies that I recently got converted to digital format and put on DVD. I want to be able to rip the video from the DVD, edit it, and make it into a nice DVD with chapters and the like. My biggest concern is loss of quality. The original files were from VHS-C and I don't want to use any file formats that will affect the image quality. So, more specifically to the original question, what program will allow one to convert ripped DVD files to a format where they can be manipulated in iMovie or iDVD without losing quality? I have used MacTheRipper in the past and am sort of familiar with that; it should not degrade the video quality. If I use MTR to rip what, then, would I use to convert to an editable file format WITHOUT losing quality?

Many thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.